Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old October 18, 2012   #31
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Ok, as promised I'm letting everyone know whats up. As of now, 4 am Thursday 18 Oct I haven't yet gotten in contact with the grower. I do have a 25 lb box of green tomatoes but have doubts at to them ever getting ripe. I'll have to make the drive and hope for the best.

Wish me luck !
JohnWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2012   #32
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

good luck.
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21, 2012   #33
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I picked up 50 lbs of small ripe tomatoes yesterday (Sat 20 Oct) and I am not trying to get things figured out such as getting this done without making myself or someone else sick. (or worse)

The only thing I have ever put up in a brine is kraut and I was quite skittish about eating that.

And so I have been searching the Internet looking for recipes for putting these things up using my pressure canner... I understand that would mean peeling the tomatoes etc but I'm just afraid of what I don't know.

If anyone finds something, Please link/share it. Thanks
Old October 26, 2012   #34
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I just tried it on one quart. I had to slightly change the recipe because I didn't have any cherry leaves. So I substituted a little dill weed and 1 sprig of fresh Rosemary from the garden. I also added 1 tiny Jalapeno and a bit more garlic than the recipe stated.. I used some small salad/large cherry tomatoes and a couple grape tomatoes to fill the voids between the larger salad tomatoes. Should be interesting to see if the traditional "tomatoey" flavor or the sweeter grape tomatoes taste better. I can't wait until I get to try them! If this works I may have a new standard recipe!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29, 2012   #35
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Well, I got most of the 50 lbs canned. I tried a number of variations based on the video linked above. It took every piece of fresh dill weed in the county that I could find.

Moshou, I have not given up on your recipe. Not at all. Its just that I have no cherry or grave leaves and no idea what they mean to the recipe.

Hope to let everyone know how things turned out in a couple of weeks !
Old November 5, 2012   #36
JohnWayne
Tomatovillian™

Well, the results are in. The tomatoes are mushy and I know this is because I was worried and used more vinegar than I should have.

The taste ? Not bad at all but not quite what I was looking for. The flavors from the garlic and dill and to mild and the vinegar to strong. Again, I know this was my fault and I do plan to try again and not make the same mistake.

Can anyone tell me if the garlic and dill flavor will become stronger as time passes or should I plan to add more next time ?

http://www.pickl-it.com/ Found this to late but better late than never.
Old November 5, 2012   #37
MikeInOhio
Tomatovillian™

John,

Moshou's recipe is nearly dead-on with what my wife makes. Her recipe comes from her mother in Russia.

She uses grape leaves rather than "leaf vine" and the black pepper is left in the clove form. She also ads some catnip leaves.

We find that the cherry and grape varieties seem to taste the best, with the darker colors being my favorite.

-Mike
MikeInOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #38
Calcat36
Tomatovillian™

I received a catalog from "Totally Tomatoes" that I had not signed up for nor knew existed. On page 2 they advertise "New Hampshire Pickling Tomato" as the result of cross breeding at UNH in the late '50's/early '60's. Thick walled pear shaped 1/2 ounce 1-1/2 to 2" long. 30 seeds $1.95.

I have never bought from this company so I cannot speak for them. It is interesting though, that a seed company is advertising a red pickling tomato.

Thanks for the recipe. I may try it with store store bought tomatoes!
Calcat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #39
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I tried it. The flavor was fantastic but the vinegar was too strong and made them into mush.

So I used them in my feta eggplant recipe I posted in another section instead of fresh cherry tomatoes. (Getting blended anyway)

Worked awesome!

Thanks Moshou!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2012   #40
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

Most likely you asked for a Jung, Rh Shumway, Vermont Bean, or HPS seed catalog. THey are all the same company. I've ordered from them in the past and would in the future if I couldn't get it else Were. I'd rather support Tania, Remy or a number of smaller seed companies.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #41
oldman
Tomatovillian™

I tried Kaleidoscopic Jewel last year and, while they looked good the fruit was very firm and the tomato wasn't very good for eating (slightly bitter aftertaste and not much tomato flavor). Is pickling likely to improve them or will I just get vinegar, garlic and dill with a weird aftertaste? Guesses anyone?
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #42
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

The quality you put into the jar is what you are going to get out of the jar. I would not take the time to can tomatoes you don't like.
Old May 14, 2018   #43
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I tried refrigerator tomato "pickles" with a similar recipe. Don't remember where I found it or the exact proportions, but had vinegar, dill, grape leaves etc and some other stuff in it. I thought a mixed jar of pickled Sungold, Black Cherry, and a red cherry would look nice. The Sungold and Black Cherry were just vinegary bags of mush, not very edible. The red cherry was from seeds saved from a red grape store tomato that was sweet, but had thick skins and crunchy texture. It was the only one that held together and was sort of edible. Someday I may look for another recipe and try again, and I will only use a harder, crunchier cherry. Since I don't like hard, crunchy cherries for fresh eating, I'll have to grow it special.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #44
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I only will pickle the green unripe tomatoes otherwise they are too soft and mushy. If done while green they stay nice and firm. I also will not 'cook' tomato pickles, they have to be refrigerator pickles. Then they will have a nice crunchiness to them.
Old October 17, 2019   #45
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

This year I preserve tomatoes for the first time. I use a variety of Ramallet Bombeta and peel it. I also want to try a combination of Ramallet Bombeta and Green Bee F1 by Fred Hempel. Pour sweet and sour, sterilize at 85 ° C for 15 minutes (0.3 L glass). I add onion slices and fresh basil leaves. Meanwhile, I am looking for an optimal infusion - a balance between the acidity of vinegar and the sweetness of sugar and artificial sweetener.
Vladimír
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2002.jpg (84.3 KB, 43 views)
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote