Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Post your favorite tomato-based recipes here.

Old October 31, 2012   #1
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Default Sweet chili & tomato sauce

Hello, does any body have a recipe for mild sweet chili & tomato sauce? If you do could you please share it with me as I would love to make some.
Thanks
Andybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2012   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybear View Post
Hello, does any body have a recipe for mild sweet chili & tomato sauce? If you do could you please share it with me as I would love to make some.
Thanks
I posted this on the condiments sticky. All you need to do is adjust the sugar to make whatever sauce you prefer and adjust the cayenne to your "mildness or hotness" preferences.

Here is how I do it.

2 parts sweet yellow banana peppers
2 parts sweet yellow tomatoes or sweet ripe tomitillos
1 part crushed Pineapple
1 part mandarin oranges
1/2 part sweet onion
1/4 part sugar/honey or to taste
1 single green cayenne pepper per quart or to taste
fresh Tarragon to taste
fresh mint to taste
dash of cinnamon to taste

Use a blender on high to blend it smoothy consistency.
Slow cook the mixture several hours and reduce until it resembles a thick apple sauce.
Use a funnel to fill a catsup type bottle.
Cap and refrigerate.

There are very few sweet sauces I like, but this one works! Dipping chicken nuggets, glaze on a Thanksgiving ham, just like tomato catsup on any sandwich or hot dog, like Bar B Q sauce in baked beans or on the grill, in Chinese recipes instead of sweet n sour sauce. You name it.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2012   #3
Andybear
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Redbaron, that sounds great I will have to give it a try.
Andybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2012   #4
saltmarsh
Tomatovillian™

CAUTION -- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK -- SAFETY NOT VERIFIED BY ANY OFFICIAL ENTITY -- AND NOT GUARANTEED BY ANY UNOFFICIAL ENTITY EITHER.

Chili Sauce

This is my grandmother’s recipe. It is not hot, merely spicy, and goes well on peas or butterbeans as well as fried fish.

NOTE: You can make this with either fresh or canned tomatoes. Both will taste the same. (Canned peeled whole tomatoes are less trouble.)

3 gallons whole peeled tomatoes (stems removed)
5 large onions
5 large bell peppers (green or red or yellow, to your taste)
3 tablespoons of canning salt (if using kosher salt, use 3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)
5 cups sugar
1 quart vinegar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons cloves
2 teaspoons allspice

Sterilize jars and canning utensils in canner.

Stir together sugar, salt and spices in a large stockpot and add vinegar. Drain canned tomatoes and reserve liquid. Add 5 cups of reserved liquid to stockpot (if using fresh tomatoes no additional liquid is required). Stir and bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent from sticking. Peel onions and core bell peppers. Use a food processor to produce a fine dice. (Note: do not over process; think pickle relish.) Add diced onions and bell peppers to stockpot and return to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low boil and cook covered for 15 minutes. While this is cooking use food processor to dice tomatoes. (Note: Again, do not over process.) Add diced tomatoes to stock pot and return to a boil. Reduce heat to very low boil and cook covered for 1 ½ hours, stirring occasionally.

When ready to can:
Place lids and rings in a pot and bring to a low boil.

Fill prepared jars (leave ½ inch head room and install lids and rings finger tight) and process in canner for 10 minutes. Remove from canner and tighten rings to seal.

Makes approximately 21 pints.

Claud

Last edited by saltmarsh; November 1, 2012 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Mandatory FEDERAL WARNING
saltmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31, 2012   #5
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

saltmarsh,

OHHHHH Cloves and allspice! That gets me thinking for sure! Thanks so much for that!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2012   #6
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Saltmarsh, I think your grandma and mine must have made very similar, but not quite identical, chili sauce.

I'm not sure, but I thought I saw somewhere a request not to post any non-federally tested recipes without a warning so . . .

CAUTION -- USE AT YOUR OWN RISK -- SAFETY NOT VERIFIED BY ANY OFFICIAL ENTITY -- AND NOT GUARANTEED BY ANY UNOFFICIAL ENTITY EITHER.

That said -- when the new info about safety came out in the '90s I hunted through the USDA tested recipes until I found one very similar in proportions of included foods to Grandma's recipe -- then used guidelines they had posted for modifying salsa recipes -- things like that it was ok to substitute one kind of pepper for another, as long as the pepper weight remained constant, and that it was ok to substitute bottled lemon juice for vinegar (but not the reverse), and that it was OK to alter flavor spices. These are the instructions I use for a 5 pint batch at 5300 ft altitude.

I do weigh all ingredients as specified.

Also, while I adapted the acid (vinegar and lemon juice) to meet their recipe proportion, I also pressure can (rather than use a water bath or other method) which should increase safety.

And I store the sealed canned jars in an extra refrigerator we have -- though I probably wouldn't do that if it weren't that I try to keep foods extra-safe for my 88 year old mother to eat.

BUT AGAIN -- SAFETY IS IMPORTANT, YOU HAVE TO INVESTIGATE AND DECIDE FOR YOURSELF IF YOU WANT TO USE THIS.

Updated Grandma's ketchup, makes about 5 pints

8 lbs ripe tomatoes
(All weights are peeled/trimmed weight)
3/4 lb onions (about two medium-large onions)
1/2 lb green peppers (about two medium-large green peppers)
3 oz Mexican peppers (about two 6 inch Anaheim peppers
(Anaheim or "New Mexico" or "long chili peppers" -- different names for the same thing, important point is milder than jalapeno)
1.5 cup vinegar (5%)
1.5 cup bottled lemon juice
3 cups sugar
2 TBS canning salt
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ginger
1.5 tsp cinnamon

Wash tomatoes and dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins, core, and quarter. Remove seeds from peppers and chop small. Peel and chop onions. Pour into a 1 gallon pan and heat. Boil gently 60 minutes, stirring frequently. Add vinegar, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and spices. Continue boiling and stirring until volume is reduced one-half and ketchup rounds up on a spoon with no separation of liquid and solids. Fill hot jars, leaving 1/8-inch headspace. Run plastic knife or spatula around jars to remove air, wipe jar rims, adjust (gently tighten) two piece lids.
5300 ft. altitude -- Process PINTS or smaller -- 25 minutes at 13 lbs pressure

Pressure canning with 18 qt. Presto canner
3 quarts boiling water in canner -- I usually let it heat while filling jars, if it begins boiling add a little more water to compensate for water lost
2 TBS white vinegar in canner -- keeps canner from getting discolored as much
Put jars on rack, align v's on lid and close lid
Turn up heat until steam vents freely, then vent ten minutes
Put on regulator, wait until pressure is 13 lbs (regulator rocks at 15 lbs -- is OK to use that pressure if desired)
Time 25 minutes -- usually can turn large burner down to about 4 or 5 and it will keep pressure up -- pressure must stay up entire time, or begin timing over again.
Turn off heat and let canner cool completely until pressure gauges all drop
Remove jars, let cool, remove rings, label jars
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2012   #7
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

By the way, on the subject of substituting kosher salt for canning salt -- I just recently found out that all kosher salt is not created equal. Google some of the discussions about Diamond vs Morton kosher salt, for example. It also appears that some kosher salt has additives that canning salt doesn't.

Here are a few links from which I've saved info if I need to do salt conversions in the future. Though having found out how much more difference there is among salts than I had realized, I think that mainly I will be careful that I have the sort of salt a recipe specifies, if at all possible.

Some salt links:

http://old.cbbqa.org/articles/Salt/index.html

(Has good links at the end of it, as well as its own content)

http://www.amazingribs.com/cooking_w...ons/index.html

http://www.dadcooksdinner.com/2012/0...by-weight.html
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote