Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 27, 2013   #1
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Default Double Helix Farms 2015

I have some great Heirloom and Open Pollinated tomatoes for 2013. I have everything from really early like Quedlinburger Fruhe Liebe to later season monsters like Red Giant From Vienna.

Henryka, Jugo, Linhart’s Giant, Tarasenko #2, and Mikado Pink come to mind as some of my new favorites.

Raspberry Miracle, Mikado Black, Rabideau, and Plum Bush were great again this year.

Rote Hertztomate is the earliest heart I have ever grown and it gave me my first tomato in 42 days.

I have close to 80 new tomato varieties this year and most are available for the first time in the United States. I also have 30 new peppers and I have added more squash, cucumbers, herbs, and a host of other vegetable seeds.

I even have the highly sought after Glass Gem Corn and some TPS or true potato seed.

Thanks for everyone's support.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/

Steve

Last edited by doublehelix; January 27, 2013 at 01:22 PM.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #2
Mark0820
Tomatovillian™

Steve,

What variety of potato did you save your TPS from?
Mark0820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2013   #3
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Steve,

What variety of potato did you save your TPS from?
"Bountiful"

http://doublehelixfarms.com/true-potato-seed-TPS
Old February 8, 2013   #4
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Ordered just now. Great descriptions and choices!!
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #5
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Fred. I really appreciate your kind words.
Old February 10, 2013   #6
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Hi! Can you comment on the disease resistance of the Turkish Smooth Cucumber? I'd really like to try that one, but have trouble with bacterial wilt.

I'll probably try it anyway though.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2013   #7
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I doubt that it has any resistance and you should probably look at something else. I would have a soil test done to confirm that it is Bacterial Wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum).

If it is, then you might want to go to a hybrid cucumber with resistance. I am not familiar enough with cucumbers to suggest one, but there is a thread here at Tomatoville on BW resistant cucumbers.

Thanks.

Steve
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDahlia View Post
Hi! Can you comment on the disease resistance of the Turkish Smooth Cucumber? I'd really like to try that one, but have trouble with bacterial wilt.

I'll probably try it anyway though.
Old February 10, 2013   #8
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublehelix View Post
I doubt that it has any resistance and you should probably look at something else. I would have a soil test done to confirm that it is Bacterial Wilt (Ralstonia solanacearum).

If it is, then you might want to go to a hybrid cucumber with resistance. I am not familiar enough with cucumbers to suggest one, but there is a thread here at Tomatoville on BW resistant cucumbers.

Thanks.

Steve
Thanks, Steve. I could be wrong as I'm pretty new at this, but I had a lot of cucumber beetles and the plants' demise (cukes, squash and muskmelons) looked like the descriptions of bacterial wilt. Definitely due for some soil tests though.

Ah well, this would have made my Turkish husband happy. I did buy some supposedly resistant hybrids and guess I should stick with those this year.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #9
Crissyb
Tomatovillian™

Default Sugar Plum Gold

I ordered Sugar Plum Gold this year from Double Helix Farms and I wanted to say what a great tomato plant this has been for me. I planted 2 of them in pots by my door so I would have tomatoes right outside waiting for me. Lots of yellow plum tomatoes! Without this plant I would have had a dismal tomato year up until now (as the rest of my tomatoes are finally starting to turn colors). I have mad some sauces out of them and it is quite good. Will definitely grow next year, but I might grow in the garden instead of the pots.
Sugar Plum Gold is on the left, the ones on the right are some Bumblebees.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0212.JPG (315.9 KB, 705 views)
Crissyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2013   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Very nice website and interesting varieties! Do you ship to Canada?
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2013   #11
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Has anyone heard from Steve at Double Helix? There is a notation at his website stating that it would be down for a few weeks while he dealt with some 'health issues'; but that notation has been there for several months.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29, 2013   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpeppers View Post
Has anyone heard from Steve at Double Helix? There is a notation at his website stating that it would be down for a few weeks while he dealt with some 'health issues'; but that notation has been there for several months.
I saw that myself recently, but it said down for maintenance just a couple of days ago when I accessed it.

If health issues I can understand, b'c he's been fighting, and I mean fighting, two infectious diseases that he acquired where he lives, maybe two years ago at least.

Last I heard from Steve was maybe about two months ago when he sent me a box of those wonderful small cherry tomatoes that he'd been working with and asked which ones I liked the best and I posted that somewhere here.

I can e-mail him, but he doesn't always get back to me quickly, that I also know, but I'll try. I think I also have his phone number somewhere as well.

I just checked and he last visited on Aug 13th, 2013.

Carolyn
Old November 29, 2013   #13
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

When I placed an order with him last year: I remarked how my wife and I were real salsa addicts. He included a bonus pack of 'Plum Bush' seeds with our order, along with his personal salsa recipe; which proved to be quite tasty. Sincerely hope he is okay.
Old December 2, 2013   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Steve just got back to me from the e-mail I sent him and he said the website should hopefully be back up in 2-3 weeks.

Yes, he has and still is having, some major health problems, but I'm not going to go into any specifics on that. And is in contact with MD's about it as he has been all summer.

His growouts for seed have been done by someone else locally and he was able to grow in pots at home some or most of the targetted varieties to taste and take pictures.

Carolyn
Old December 2, 2013   #15
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Very glad to hear his website will be up and running soon, but dismayed to hear that he is still struggling with health issues. Thanks for the 'heads up'.

Tags
double helix farms heirloom tomato seeds