Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 2, 2013   #16
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tania View Post
I looked up the Russian tomato. It is called 'Amurskiy Tigr' ('Amur Tiger')

http://nikitovka.com/online-store/20...to-detail.html
Yes it is and since you apparently aren't reading at idig i did a post over there and noted that someone told me that Marina at The Depot said there was no Russian Siberian Tiger, gave the name as Amurskiy Tigr. I recognized the prefix Amur as being from a Siberian area. Googled it and yes it is Siberian Tiger, and recognizing that the folks at The Depot didn't possibly know that Steve W already had at his site the Russian one and Marina showed a commercial package, they will renaming what was called Siberian Tiger.

It was in this thread that Mark, who did the original cross, first became aware of the fact that there were two varieties called by the same name although the two were quite different as to size and striping.

So I think all is well now, the Russian one takes precedence and Mark says they will be renaming it but it isn't even stable yet and is one selection that Blane is working on and is really neat looking. And a picture is shown above from Mark's blog, the fruit on the left with those stripes. And I gave the Google link and more at idig.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&tbo=d&s...pw.r_qf.&cad=b

Carolyn, who will also be e-mailing you Tania about some other stuff. I have a long list of things to do and am just so far behind that, well, I've got to go faster somehow. Now that the SSE 2013 paper Yearbook has arrived here, earliest in about 20 years, I've just got to get those seeds out before dealing with possible requests from the Yearbook.