Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 29, 2012   #1
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Default Getting rid of slugs

Lots of discussion in various forums lead me to believe that some folks skip some sub-forums, and don't see answers about this uggy problem.

The following article is the best I've read in 20 years of living here.

Got Slugs? Get solutions that actually work (not the same old misinformation)

http://kgi.org/blogs/amy-manning/got...misinformation

The complete slime on slugs. Actually, for snails, too.

One thing that no one seems to mention is killing the eggs when you find them. The eggs look like little white pearls, larger than a grain of coarse sand, around the size of bb's, and they make a very satisfying 'pop' when you smoosh them. They're usually in bunches of 20-80, if I'm finding them all. They grow in the grass that is so very green on the sides of my raised beds. (Wish the lawn looked so good!)

I still like the bamboo skewer better than the scissors. The green guts gushing out gives me bad dreams.
And the skewers just stay in the ground all over the garden, handier than keeping scissors on me at all times.

Happy hunting!

janezee
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2012   #2
tedln

I think I have seen empty snail shells for sale at some of those hobby big box stores like Hobby Lobby. Buy a bag of the shells. Stuff a slug in each one. Cook them with plenty of garlic and serve them to your friends as escargot at your next dinner party.

(I'm just kidding about cooking them, but we once lived in an area with copious amounts of those large snails about the size of a ping pong ball. They were the identical snails which are grown for escargot. I thought about it but could never convince myself to cook and eat them.)

Ted

Last edited by tedln; June 30, 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old June 30, 2012   #3
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Well, Ted, I know they're eating a healthy, organic diet!

But I just can't bring myself to even consider it without !

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eliminate , hints , kill , slugs , snails