Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 14, 2009   #1
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Default What New Varieties Surprised in 2009?

Good or bad, what happened with the new varieties you had such high hopes for when you planted them, other than tomatoes?

These new varieties I had the following results, from best to worst:

1) Inferno Hungarian Hot Wax Pepper - great flavored, consistently hot, productive.

2) Bouquet Dill - Huge plant, 5 feet high with heads 12" across.

3) Candy sweet onion - grown from transplants all over a pound, early, and perfect shapes.

4) Cipollini Heirloom Italian Red Onion - Most were doubles or didn't look like picture, and were no earlier than Candy and Mars.

5) Redwing Onion - longest lasting red storage onion. 90% doubles and small.

6) Jalapa jalapeno - Low production and skinny with no corking and nowhere near the heat of Early Jalapeno which it replaced.

7) Autopick Hot Pepper - Totally useless!
barkeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2009   #2
RJ_Hythloday
Tomatovillian™

"Mucho Nacho" Jalapeno - one of the four plants is making huge - I mean monstrous jalapenos. All four plants have produced very tasty peppers, but only this one has been so prolifiic and huge.
RJ_Hythloday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2009   #3
Ruth_10
Tomatovillian™

Pritavit pepper--absolutely delicious at the red (and even green) stage eaten raw. This will be back in my garden every year. Too bad it's a hybrid so I can't save seeds.

Jalapeno from Sandhill was crossed. Got a couple of plants that gave the real deal but others that gave me something bigger and with a different shape. Decent heat and flavor, just not the real deal.

Jimenez pole beans were delicious, even when the pods got large. They will be back.

Some say the glass half-full. Others say the glass is half-empty. To an engineer, it’s twice as big as it needs to be.
Ruth_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2009   #4
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

One really nice surprize for me was the Yellow Brandywine - Platfoot. I had a few ripe ones for our tasting day. I was surprized by the strong zippy flavor that it had. Yet it wasn't bitey like the reds that I don't like. Most yellows tend to be rather blah. That one definately wasn't.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2009   #5
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I was surprised by "Garden of Eden" pole beans. They were very early, completely tender and I never found one string all summer, even in the largest pods. However, they had zero flavor. They were the blandest beans I've ever grown. How disappointing!

I have "Salad Bowl" lettuce out in the fall garden now and I love it. We are still having some hot days and it's holding up really well.

I tried "Violetta" sweet potatoes this year but only found one when I went to dig. Not sure if I can blame that one on the variety or the moles.

I didn't try too many new things this year but I have a lot of new varieties planned for 2010. I hope to find some new favorites and some good wilt resistant tomatoes.
Old October 17, 2009   #6
Marko
Tomatovillian™

I tried Manoa lettuce this year and it performed very well in hot weather. It's a very small cos lettuce, very crispy. I will grow it again next year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg manoa.jpg (48.2 KB, 5 views)
Marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2009   #7
Barbee
Tomatovillian™

The sheepnose pimentos were my big surprise. I had planted a hybrid last year and they were good tasting and big.
The sheepnose were just so much sweeter tasting. They were not as big as the hybrid, but the taste was off the charts.
Honestly, all my peppers were over achievers this year. It was the year of the pepper here in Ohio and last week when I pulled the plants, they were still blooming.
Old October 17, 2009   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Pretty lettuce, Marko!

Barbee, I love Sheepnose pimento! I still have six plants going out there and they should last until frost. I have a few quarts pickled too. A great little pepper!