Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 29, 2020   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default My urban setup for tomatoes

Folks, This has been a great year for gardens in Atlanta - lots of rain, and temps between 75 and 85. My set up is to plant around 80 tomatoes in containers around several bamboo pyramids. As they grow, I clip them to the next circle of string.

The tomatoes are packed with flowers and green fruit.

On the south side, I plant peppers and eggplants in pots.

I have a secondary garden in a side yard for the dwarfs in pots - they are in the pictures below. Again, great performance so far.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_20200529_194114.jpg (167.3 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20200529_194122.jpg (129.4 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20200529_194136.jpg (146.5 KB, 243 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20200529_194300.jpg (309.2 KB, 245 views)
File Type: jpg rsz_20200529_194559.jpg (268.6 KB, 242 views)
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2020   #2
dshreter
Tomatovillian™

That’s looking fantastic!
dshreter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #3
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Scott how do you water them all when the rain stops? Down here we haven't had much rain and just watering my raised beds has been a real pain. Thank goodness we got a half inch of rain yesterday.

Have you been bothered by TSWV this year? I just pulled my sixth one afflicted with it yesterday.

I am also growing way too many tomatoes this year if there is such a thing.

Good luck as the season progresses because it looks like you have got a great start.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Bill, I run an irrigation system with an emitter in each pot. The whole thing works off the Internet - I use BHyve as my wireless system, and I can water remotely, from overseas if I need to. I can water 300 pots with a few clicks from Bangkok.
Old May 30, 2020   #5
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Nice, Scott! Looks like you'll have a ton to can up. I'm just now getting a few tiny babies among the flowers.

It sure has been a good May rain-wise and come late June and July we'll wish we had some. Fortunately there's no funk out and about yet. Still, I'd like to get a few dry days to put out some Serenade as a preventative.

Did you get a big storm last night? We had a pretty good blow here last evening about 9:45.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2020   #6
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoDawgs View Post
Nice, Scott! Looks like you'll have a ton to can up. I'm just now getting a few tiny babies among the flowers.

It sure has been a good May rain-wise and come late June and July we'll wish we had some. Fortunately there's no funk out and about yet. Still, I'd like to get a few dry days to put out some Serenade as a preventative.

Did you get a big storm last night? We had a pretty good blow here last evening about 9:45.

We didn't get that storm, but lots of local violent storms moving around almost every day now. Welcome to thunderstorm season! Saw your pics on the other thread - how disappointing.
Old May 30, 2020   #7
Notostraca
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful plants and fantastic system.

Watering controlled via internet and 80 different pots so you could tailor the conditions perfectly for each individual plant...dream set-up!

Emilia
Notostraca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #8
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants! I don't even see a spot of Septoria, I am already seeing a few spots I've promptly removed here in WI--I would guess ATL would be worse, but maybe it's not a huge problem for you?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2020   #9
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I do a daily run with scissors and remove every frond with disease.
Old June 2, 2020   #10
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I like your setup. How do you keep your TeePee's upright or don't you have wind problems?

On the bamboo, you already made rungs from cord/string and as your plants grow, you are attaching the plant to the rung. Do I have this correct?
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2020   #11
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
I like your setup. How do you keep your TeePee's upright or don't you have wind problems?

On the bamboo, you already made rungs from cord/string and as your plants grow, you are attaching the plant to the rung. Do I have this correct?

I attach one of the legs of each pyramid to a stake in the ground.

Yes. I run a series of string supports around the pyramid at one foot intervals, and simply clip the plant to the string as it grows up.
Old June 3, 2020   #12
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for getting back with me. Looks great and easy to try on a small scale, even one set of bamboo and a plant on 2 sides of the bamboo.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2020   #13
Rosine
Tomatovillian™

Very nice, thank you for the pictures. I made teepees every year, but from smaller bamboo.. Half good only. I never thought of adding a string system like you did. will do it now.
Rosine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2020   #14
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Tripods are Great

If you have difficulty getting appropriate size/length bamboo visit your local big box store and purchase some 1"x2"x8' furring strips. Drill a hole about 6" down down the top in each strip, loosely insert a bolt or even a length of clothes hangar to make a "top point". Spread the legs in a tripod and proceed as with bamboo.

I have used this method in the past and always sprayed the bottom (in the ground end of the strips) with a rubberized spray used for sealing gutters to prevent rot or just staple some sandwich baggies on them. Be sure to secure at least one strip with a solid stake in the ground to prevent them from toppling in high winds.
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9, 2020   #15
Rosine
Tomatovillian™

Did not think about protecting the ends, that is a good advice (I like less work), thank you!
Rosine is offline   Reply With Quote