Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 7, 2012   #16
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

I grew them out for two years in a row and didn't have much success either time. The first time disease and ultimately production was a problem and the second year I just didn't think too much of them. I was encouraged by a seed-swaping friend from Hawaii but obviously her growing conditions were much different than mine here in KS. Lori
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2012   #17
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

Ray that sounds good, thanks!

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9, 2012   #18
barkeater
Tomatovillian™

Momotaro and Odoriko taste exactly the same to me with the difference that Odoriko has been larger the 2 years I've grown them. I've grown Momotaro for 6 years. They're among my favorites.
Old January 10, 2012   #19
weinerm
Tomatovillian™

Does anybody know of an heirloom or OP pink round tomato similiar to momotaro in shape and taste? I have grown momotaro before and really liked it but the seeds are pretty expensive.
weinerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2012   #20
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad to see that not everyone has thought they were so great. I grew one a couple of years ago because the flavor wasn't remarkable to me and the skin is quite tough. I didn't invite it back.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2012   #21
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Tasted one from eastern WA last summer, promptly bought 5 lbs. and ate them. Will be growing these next year.
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #22
peebee
Tomatovillian™

I have never grown either Momotaro or Odoriko but since I have seed from Japan this year I'll try them. The Momotaro I got is new called Momotaro Fight, supposedly even more disease resistant. They have several different versions of Momotaro over there now.
With the poor dollar rate, seed is getting too expensive to buy there. If I run out, I'll just get Kitazawa seeds next time. They are even cheaper if I buy them at this member-ship Japanse market here in town. last year Kitazawa seeds were $2.69 a packet and the produce manager even took my phone requests and ordered certain ones for me, so no shipping costs, yaaaay! This market always has Momotaro tomatoes in the produce dept and they are always better tasting than the usual supermarket variety (which is why I never bothered growing Momotaro, since they were always there. I concentrated on heirlooms instead).
Hope they turn out good.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #23
Alpinejs
Tomatovillian™

Location: Alpine, Calif. in winter. Sandpoint Lake, Ont. Canada summers

Where in So. Cal. is a market that sells Momotaro? I would like to buy some.
Alpinejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24, 2012   #24
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpinejs View Post
Where in So. Cal. is a market that sells Momotaro? I would like to buy some.
They are sold in cities with Japanese markets, like Gardena and Torrance. Some of the markets have multiple locations, so you might want to do a search. Names off the top of my head: Marukai (sells both the Kitazawa seed and produce), Nijiya, and Mitsuwa.

I would call ahead of time and ask if they have Momotaro; they usually do but its winter now so it would be hot house ones. In the summer months, they sell seedlings too. Marukai is member based, like Costco, but I think you can still buy at a slightly higher rate.

Aren't you more south of me, in the San Diego area? Maybe one of the 3 markets I mentioned might have a location nearby.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2012   #25
goodwin
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Momotoro from TGS twice in recent years. One time it was excellent, though a bit tough-skinned, and one year it didn't do well at all. Rose de Berne is a better tomato here and similar, maybe a bit smaller, but earlier and more productive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rose de Berne box.jpg (167.2 KB, 84 views)
goodwin is offline   Reply With Quote