Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 21, 2015   #1
Okijames
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafting 2016

Seeds started Dec 15th in Bio Dome.

5ea Estamino, Maxifort, and DR0141TX
7ea Brandywine Sudduth's and Pineapple

Accidentally left the growlight on continuously, corrected 12/19. All but 1 Estamino and 1 Brandywine have sprouted, and variously grown to 1/4"-1".
Okijames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2015   #2
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okijames View Post
Seeds started Dec 15th in Bio Dome.

5ea Estamino, Maxifort, and DR0141TX
7ea Brandywine Sudduth's and Pineapple

Accidentally left the growlight on continuously, corrected 12/19. All but 1 Estamino and 1 Brandywine have sprouted, and variously grown to 1/4"-1".
For sprouting no light is needed. You can germinate in total darkness.
But when they sprout need light.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2015   #3
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

"Rootstocks are typical light germinators, which make the light the most important factor to achieve a more equal plant. Therefore storage of the sown trays in the shed or dark germination cell is not recommended." http://paramountseeds.com/wp-content...o_grafting.pdf
Information provided courtesy of De Ruiter Seeds Inc

Recommended germination conditions:

• Temperature 24 - 25°C day and night
• RH 80%
• EC 1.5 – 1.8 mS/cm (in general: basic water + 1 mS/cm nutrition)
• pH 6.0 – 6.5
• Light (D/N) 4.500 lux/m² (05:00 – 16:00 hrs)

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

I come from a long line of sod busters, spanning back several centuries.

Last edited by Dutch; December 23, 2015 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Added info
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015   #4
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

The majority of tomatoes (Solanum Lycopersicum) that folks grow in their gardens germinate fine in total darkness. However this is not true of all plants in the nightshade (Solanaceae) family. The majority of commercially sold rootstocks are not Solanum Lycopersicum and do not necessarily germinate under the same conditions as tomatoes do.

There are photoblastic varieties of tobacco that do not germinate without strong light or mechanical manipulation. An example of this is Nicotiana also known as Flowering Tobacco which must be surface sown and requires light to germinate.

Dutch

The intuitive mind is a gift, and the rational mind is a faithful servant. But we have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift. (paraphrased) Albert Einstein

Last edited by Dutch; December 25, 2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old December 27, 2015   #5
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

There are few things in this thread that I would like to address.

The first is thanking Gardeneer for his timely reply (as he often does here at Tomatoville to the person with a question).
Thank you Gardeneer!

Secondly I hope my posts following his are viewed as an addition to his and not a rebuttal.

Third, I hope this thread continues because I still have much to learn.

Fourth, in germinating Mexico Midget and Matt’s Wild Cherry this past spring, Matt’s Wild Cherry (fresh 2015 seeds from Southern Exposure) took forever to germinate. Mexico Midget germinated normally without the lights on in the basement, but Matt’s Wild Cherry did not come up until after I took the tray up to the greenhouse. I actually thought at first that I had gotten some bad seeds, but after a week in the greenhouse they all came up

Fifth, has anyone used Matt’s Wild Cherry or Coyote as a rootstock? These both resist a lot of tomato aliments and are very aggressive growing plants.

Dutch

Last edited by Dutch; December 28, 2015 at 10:04 AM. Reason: Grammar
Old December 28, 2015   #6
rwsacto
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

Fifth, has anyone used Matt’s Wild Cherry or Coyote as a rootstock? These both resist a lot of tomato aliments and are very aggressive growing plants.

Dutch
I have tried to use Matts Wild Cherry for rootstock for several years with no success. The grafts did not take for me.

I have had success with commercial rootstocks and commercial hybrids and have produced 15-20 grafted plants per year with 50% to 85% success rate.

Rick
rwsacto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2015   #7
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your reply Rick (rwsacto).

James (Okijames), I do not want to hijack your original post and get too far off track. Is it okay with you if we continue discussing rootstocks in this thread?

Dutch

Old December 28, 2015   #8
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch View Post

The first is thanking Gardeneer for his timely reply (as he often does here at Tomatoville to the person with a question).
Thank you Gardeneer!

Dutch
No problem DUTCH
This is a forum to express views and opinions. I could be wrong about what I said. And what I said was based on what I have heard/ read in the forums.

Back to grafting:
In a cooking television, this chef was visiting a farm in Mexico. They briefly showed people doing grafting. I thing it was tomatoes.
The guys were just snapping the scions and immediately pushing them into the clip , onto the root stock.... No cutting,, no trimming leaves , no matching the cuts.
That is what you call a "snap"
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2016   #9
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
No problem DUTCH
This is a forum to express views and opinions. I could be wrong about what I said. And what I said was based on what I have heard/ read in the forums.

Back to grafting:
In a cooking television, this chef was visiting a farm in Mexico. They briefly showed people doing grafting. I thing it was tomatoes.
The guys were just snapping the scions and immediately pushing them into the clip , onto the root stock.... No cutting,, no trimming leaves , no matching the cuts.
That is what you call a "snap"
Gardeneer thank you for being so observant!!! I think you may have caught one of the tricks of the trade. I makes sense that a rough break would provide greater contact area and it would lessen the chance of contamination from a cutting device and even microbes in the environment. Thanks so such for sharing your observation!!!
Dutch

Tags
"snap graphing" , tomato graphing"