Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2015   #1
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Default Fewest seeds?

I have a market customer with diverticulitis who asked for the tomato variety with the fewest seeds. I have some ideas, mostly hearts, but what do you suggest? I know seed sellers don't particularly like stingy seeded varieties, but here's what sounds like a good reason to prefer them.
Old May 24, 2015   #2
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

This variety claims to have no seeds.
http://www.burpee.com/mobile/vegetab...rod001016.html
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Legend which is parthenocarpic (spell ?). It has fewer seeds than other varieties.

Gardeneer.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerShawn View Post
I have a market customer with diverticulitis who asked for the tomato variety with the fewest seeds. I have some ideas, mostly hearts, but what do you suggest? I know seed sellers don't particularly like stingy seeded varieties, but here's what sounds like a good reason to prefer them.
I suggest that your market customer see a gastroenterologist, if that's where the person got that information, who is more up to date on this issus which has long been proved not true as to either diverticulosis or diverticulitis.

Below is one link of many that discusses it,

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...t/faq-20058333

Carolyn
Old May 25, 2015   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Of the ones that I've grown, Zolotye Kupola had fewest seeds. Fewer than other hearts, for me.

As for parthenocarpic, Siletz produced quite a few seedless fruit - and some fruit with seeds. Which was annoying because, you could not tell by looking, which one would have seeds or not. Not so great for your client either, I guess.
Cold Set is also parthenocarpic they say, but for me it produced normal amount of seeds in every fruit.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #6
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

Opalka has hardly any seeds.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Shawn, I see that others continue to name varieties with few seeds, and that's fine, but I'd like to know if your market customer ever saw an MD of any kind before asking for varieties with few seeds.

And the reason I ask is b/c my mother had diagnosed diverticulosis and what would set her off was raw lettuce, so it's not just seeds that can do it.

Many of us have diverticulosis with no symptoms, as I do, usually detected via colonoscopy, but the itis in diverticulitis means inflammation and lack of absorption of nutrients to the body which is a serious condition.

I have grown several parthenocarpic varieties myself, but without this person knowing what sets that off, I wonder if even parthenocarpic varieties would help. Perhaps the person was just reading the old info on diverticulitis and made a self diagnosis, for that does happen for many possible diseases when folks try to self diagnose.

Carolyn
Old May 26, 2015   #8
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the responses, all. I have about 150 varieties of seedlings I am selling at market, and so far opalka is the only suggestion that I currently have. Carolyn, I do appreciate your comments and your expertise, but this is a market, and I am a vendor, and I only know this woman as a customer. I am, I expect, unlikely to get into a conversation about her health history at market, particularly since I wouldn't really know what I am talking about. But if she wants to grow tomatoes with few seeds, I should be able to steer her toward a few varieties that might provide what she's looking for. I was thinking, from what I have, that Pink Honey, Wes, and Aunt Sophie might suit. I have Grightmire's Pride, Hays, and a couple of others that I am growing for the first time, so I am uncertain if they fit the "low seed" description. And I just hoped a suggestion of something I have but hadn't thought of as having relatively few seeds would surface.