Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 18, 2015   #1
charline
Tomatovillian™

Default wild thyme

I just potted seedlings and I have 3 Wild Thyme. Two of them are PL and one is RL.
So I wondered which one should I keep to take seeds from. Which is the "right" foliage for Wild Thyme?
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #2
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Charline, it seems that PL is the "normal" one. I would save from both, maybe RL will turn something interesting
loeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #3
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

The two seedlings i have are PL. Keep those RL seeds for sure.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #4
charline
Tomatovillian™

ok, so I have to squeeze in one more.......!!!
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #5
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
ok, so I have to squeeze in one more.......!!!
Whats just one more....that's what i keep telling myself.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

If it is now considered to be completely stable, see the other links in this Google search , then the first two links are no doubt the best,and yes, PL/

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Wild+Thyme+tomato

Carolyn
Old April 18, 2015   #7
loeb
Tomatovillian™

charline, you can always plant 2 side by side, 1 stem each, and pretend that it is one 2 stems
Old April 18, 2015   #8
travis
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by loeb View Post
charline, you can always plant 2 side by side, 1 stem each, and pretend that it is one 2 stems
I frequently plant two vines per cage. Many of my cages are 36-inch diameter because they are scrap welded wire concrete pipe reinforcement cages, intended originally for 37" dia reinforced concrete pipe.

Each of the two transplants are set about 24 inches apart which puts them within a few inches of the inside wire of the 36 inch cage. Fertilized adequately, the vines produce quite well, especially considering I am growing for pleasure and seeds.

In fact all the original WildThyme segregations were grown this way here in Evansville for a few years as I began distributing the various recombinations, most of which were unstable when I shared them.

The Green When Ripe and the Yellow/Pink bicolor should be potato leaf.

The Pink and Purple were both leaf shapes.

If you have a RL green when ripe or yellow/pink bicolor, it likely is a subsequent segregation from the pink or purple, the pink possibly throwing bicolors and the purple capable of throwing green when ripes.

Bill
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2015   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis View Post
I frequently plant two vines per cage. Many of my cages are 36-inch diameter because they are scrap welded wire concrete pipe reinforcement cages, intended originally for 37" dia reinforced concrete pipe.

Each of the two transplants are set about 24 inches apart which puts them within a few inches of the inside wire of the 36 inch cage. Fertilized adequately, the vines produce quite well, especially considering I am growing for pleasure and seeds.

In fact all the original WildThyme segregations were grown this way here in Evansville for a few years as I began distributing the various recombinations, most of which were unstable when I shared them.

The Green When Ripe and the Yellow/Pink bicolor should be potato leaf.

The Pink and Purple were both leaf shapes.

If you have a RL green when ripe or yellow/pink bicolor, it likely is a subsequent segregation from the pink or purple, the pink possibly throwing bicolors and the purple capable of throwing green when ripes.

Bill
Thanks so much Bill, who is the person who did the breeding on this one and pointed out that there's more than one version out there. And who very clearly said that most of the seeds he distributed initially were not yet stable so continued segregation occured.

Carolyn
Old April 19, 2015   #10
Rfdillon
Tomatovillian™

Shouldn't there be a sub forum, as a sort of support group, e.g." Hi! My name is Richatd, and.......and.......the reason I'm here is because I can't keep from squeezing in "just one more plant"?
Rfdillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2015   #11
loeb
Tomatovillian™

Travis, good to know that this is possible for cages.. I was thinking about trying cages in next year, noone uses this here.. At least I haven't seen it anywhere. Are you cutting anything from those plants? I have seen some opinions here on Wild Thyme that it tastes exellent. Its great job to breed something like that, very inspiring