Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 6, 2015   #1
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

Default Anybody growing Jaltomata procumbens?

I´ve got seeds of Jaltomata procumbens. Is anyone familiar with this species?
Belongs to family Solanaceae.
Growing hints?
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6, 2015   #2
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
I´ve got seeds of Jaltomata procumbens. Is anyone familiar with this species?
Belongs to family Solanaceae.
Growing hints?
I didn't know what it was so Googled it and found lots of links for it which should answer some of your questions and perhaps for others who didn't know what it is.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q...ata+procumbens

Carolyn
Old January 6, 2015   #3
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

Well, I´ve done the same googling but a grower that has really grown this plant I haven´t heard any comment yet.

Rauno
Old January 6, 2015   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Well, I´ve done the same googling but a grower that has really grown this plant I haven´t heard any comment yet.

Rauno
I know you haven't heard from anyone else here, but since it is native to central america and south America and is probably grown there the most, perhaps it will take more time before someone can comment for you. And I have no idea how it would do in a greenhouse, etc.

I posted the link to hopefully help others who had not heard of it.

Carolyn
Old January 7, 2015   #5
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

It might help (from the Czech Web Google translation)
JALTOMATA PROCUMBENS
Extremely easy vegetables that grow from spring to autumn on the flower-beds. Plants are předpěstujeme - from sowing plant begins to spawn as early as 2-3 months! A single plant will provide hundreds of black and purple fry with sweet taste. The fruit is delicious jam.

In our (in Czech republic) relatively unknown aubergines plant with small, round black fruit flavors reminiscent of peppers and tomatoes from Mexico. Grown much more easily than peppers and tomatoes! The first fruits ripen for 3 months after sowing and mature until the first frosts. From my own experience I can say that it is one of neperspektivnějších brood vegetables, thanks to its modest, god of fertility (actually several hundred fruits per plant) and one of the few vegetables brood does not usually have no pests or diseases! The only "downside" is the collection of the amount of crops. Fruits can eat fresh or made into preparing a series of Mexican dishes, various pickles, we did have and sweet jams that taste reminiscent of strawberry jam. The fruit is not essential flavor, which made them vegetables only applicable "salty".
Take care not to be confused with aubergine black, which grows wild in our country. Distinctive features are that it has jaltomata leaves, twigs and berries completely bald, shiny and very tender and juicy, while the black nightshade berries has a particularly dull, hairy branches and whole plant more woody. Jaltomata also has a tmavě- violet pulp ripe fruit, while black nightshade bold light green.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7, 2015   #6
Bluesman
Tomatovillian™

Thank You Vladimir, now I´m a bit wiser.
Old January 7, 2015   #7
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

http://zoom50.wordpress.com/2011/10/...ta-procumbens/

aka Creeping False Holly

It's very similar to Deadly Nightshade, so I wouldn't dare grow it because I have that on my property and wouldn't want to confuse the two! They also say that parts of it are prickly - something I try to stay away from except for some roses.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2015   #8
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

From Czech web Zahrada.cz:
Last year I tried it, but I do not want it, the berries are small with a faint taste like unripe black currant. I do not recommend grow it, pity time.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote