Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 8, 2014   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default For African growers, what varieties do you recommend?

I met a gentleman from the Cabinet Office in Zambia who wants to try some new tomatoes in his farm. I told him I would send some seeds when I had IDd some varieties that he might grow. What do you succeed with in similar climates of Africa?

He says that clients are very conservative, so he was not very positive about non-red tomatoes. They also don't like large beefsteaks there - since many houses do not have fridges, they like smaller tomatoes (salad, slicers) that they will use in a single meal.

I will probably send him some Jaunne Flamme just to test the market there.

Lusaka: 10 C to 30 C over the year.
Irrigated plot.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #2
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Druzba, Lynnwood, Cherokee Purple, and Bloody Butcher
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #3
creister
Tomatovillian™

Sioux, break o day, super Sioux, Matina, Morovsky Div, Kimberley, Clear Pink Early, VB Russian, Hanky Red. I have extra seeds for all of these except Break O Day. Most are older, between 5- 10 years. Super Sioux are saved from 2014. If you want any of the ones I have, pm me.

Curt

Last edited by creister; November 8, 2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Add text
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #4
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

The miracle BPF

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, what are those recommendations based on?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #6
creister
Tomatovillian™

Color for all red, size requirements, taste, productive, and op so they can save seeds and grow the same type in successive years.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #7
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I recommended The miracle BPF because it is a small red productive determinate that can handle the heat and the cool without a lot of pampering, outside inputs, staking etc... It's a small plant that doesn't take a lot of nitrogen. With a small red fruit that has good old fashioned flavor. It is pretty early allowing both a spring and a fall crop, depending when to plant. Just put down a thick mulch and plant your seedlings in it. You are done till harvest. In that climate you might even be able to get 3 crops. Hard to say. Would take some experimenting.

It wouldn't be good for shipping. It is too soft and juicy. But for what you described it should be ideal.

Now if he needs shipping qualities too, Rutgers is the standby. There is a reason it at one time was 70% of the commercial crop here in USA.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison

Last edited by Redbaron; November 8, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old November 8, 2014   #8
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Oh I see, I thought you meant for personal gardening, not as a commercial farming crop.
If so then I would say send seed for any shorter season tomato you think he'd like something, moravsky div or any of the other early inderterminates. For market. maybe determinates might be better though? If so, maybe hybrids would be a better bet for production. I looked at the climate and it would seem that there is a shorter (3 month) moderate temperature season between the rainy season and the hot/dry season so I would say shorter season determinate hybrid varieties might do better but I would depend a great deal on the gardener and where they are planted, access to water, soil type, fertilizer, insect pests etc. I would also think peppers might do very well in that climate.
I think it's cool that you meet so many people from all over the world.
KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; November 8, 2014 at 01:39 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #9
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Karen,
I took it completely different. I thought he meant small farmers, similar to market farmers here. Maybe Scott should enlighten us a bit so we are all on the same page?

AKA The Redbaron

Bill Mollison
Old November 8, 2014   #10
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I'm thinking older established market tomatoes like Rutgers and Homestead.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2014   #11
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Size, Shape, Color, and history. I sent seed of about 30 varieties to South Africa a few years ago. 3 of the 4 named above were preferred varieties. I know South Africa is half a continent away from Zambia, but the climate is similar enough that they should work.

If you had asked for paste varieties, I would have suggested Heidi which originated in a similar climate.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9, 2014   #12
Blk_Vegan
Tomatovillian™

Based on the criteria you mentioned I would suggest the following:
Goose Creek
Homestead 24
Eva Purple Ball
Rutgers
Bradley
Druzba
Arkansas Traveler
Stupice
Neptune
Old November 10, 2014   #13
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Here's the link to the Ag department of The University of Zambia:
http://www.unza.zm/schools/agricultu...-of-staff.html

There's several email addresses of the faculty. They might be able to help.

The next place I would have your friend look is his local farmer's market.

Search of Google images for Zambia tomatoes:

http://www.theeverydaymagic.com/wp-c...vegetables.jpg

http://s1.reutersmedia.net/resources...=AJOE82S0TIJ00

http://www.pedalingnowhere.com/wordp...-zambia-26.jpg
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10, 2014   #14
tedln

For the same reasons Scott (RedBaron) suggests miracle BPF, I suggest Moravsky Div. It doesn't have good taste, but it does have fantastic taste and great production. I have no idea how it will perform in the climate of Zambia. If the climate is hot and humid like Florida, I would also suggest Homestead which is proven to work in that climate. Rutgers is also good, but I tend to think of it as more of a New Jersey type tomato. I also think a surprisingly good smaller tomato is Black and Brown Boar. Again, I have no idea how it will perform in the climate of Zambia and it isn't the most productive variety in my garden, but each tomato is like finding a beautiful, small jewell in appearance and taste.

Ted
Old November 11, 2014   #15
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Noticing two Marglobe children, Rutgers and Break O Day, in the list above, I have to put in a word for Marglobe itself. It proved itself as a hardy, productive, open pollinated, medium size red tomato, dominating the commercial market from shortly after its introduction in the 1920's into the 1930's, when commercial tomatoes were required to taste good, as well as to be good shipping and canning tomatoes, and was successful in varied climates throughout the US.

Marglobe was developed by Fred J. Pritchard of the United States Dept. of Agriculture by selection from a cross between the French derived tomato, Marvel, and Livingstone's Globe.

Among my notes about Marglobe: "1932 Burpee Co. seed catalog says 'No other tomato introduced recently has become known as quickly as Marglobe. It will withstand long periods of wet and unfavorable weather, yet produce a maximum crop of large, well rounded, bright scarlet-red tomatoes. It is resistant to Nail Head Rust and Fusarium Wilt. Within a very short time growers along the east coast, all the way down to Florida have quickly accepted the new tomato because of its many outstanding features . . . Very solid flesh with excellent eating qualities.' "

From 1931 proceedings of the New Jersey State Horticultural Society: "Fifteen years ago there arose a tremendous demand from all parts of the country for a tomato that would be wilt-resistant. At that time Dr. Fred J. Pritchard started to work on the problem. . . . After a few years' work he gave us the Marglobe, which was a cross between Marvel and the old Livingston Globe. The Marglobe became popular at once. Many of you no doubt remember attending a meeting here of the Horticultural Society when Dr. Pritchard himself was present and read glowing reports to us from all parts of the country. At this time it is needless for me to say what the Marglobe is like. We are all familiar with it. Since the introduction of Marglobe, thousands of acres of wilt-infested land have been producing good crops of tomatoes. Florida and other southern states have found it very superior for their purposes. Northern growers who used it were able to produce a better market tomato than formerly and it has been grown in a big way for canning purposes."

Marglobe has performed better for me than any of its children . . . or than the "improved," "supreme," or other such versions of itself. It is also a proven parent. The children of Marglobe mentioned above were only two of many Marglobe children that earned a niche for themselves among the ranks of successful tomato varieties.

And a more important reference, my grandmother grew Marglobe from the 1920s to the 1980s in central, western and southern Illinois, and preferred it to all other varieties for home use, as she found it a tough, productive, good tasting tomato, good for eating, good for cooking, good for sauce, good for canning. In her view, Marglobe is the one tomato that wins in every category. And of course the views of wise old gardening ancestors are the most dependable of all.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote