Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 23, 2012   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Bermuda Grass removal..

Anyone know a way to control Bermuda Grass in a garden?? This stuff get out of contol during the summer months and I hate disturbing the roots of my plants. Plus it's a pain in the rear to pull!!

Thanks,

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

I have been trying to get rid of Wild Bermuda for 10 years. Quarterly shots with Roundup will keep in under control. I have found nothing to eliminate it. The only biological control I have ever heard of consist of getting on you hand and knees.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #3
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

agreed i allow horses to run in my garden area up until planting time and immediatley after they love it and keep it eaten down not found anything to totally kill it though. I also read somewhere that bermuda actually harms other plants not sure though.
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #4
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

A shovel is the only good way I've found..... and keeping it from going
to seed. You've got to get the roots now during dormancy before your
plants go in.... Nothing easy with bermuda.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Really thick mulch will help.

My neighbor is having a problem trying to get the stuff to grow in his yard.
I told him to till up the yard and try to grow a garden.
Acctually one day he came outside and saw me tilling up his yard on the border with me and raking rocks.
Then we sowed seeds and it is doing great.
He couldn't believe I was tilling his yard for free.

Thankfully it will have to to get past the shade to invade my yard which it wont.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #6
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

My problem is it keeps sneaking up the walls of my raised beds so when I try to pull it, it snaps because it's a foot and more down! just makes it come up thicker!

Hoping there was some kind of organic method out there that wouldn't my babies!

Greg
Old January 23, 2012   #7
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
My problem is it keeps sneaking up the walls of my raised beds so when I try to pull it, it snaps because it's a foot and more down! just makes it come up thicker!

Hoping there was some kind of organic method out there that wouldn't my babies!

Greg

It's called a goat but it will eat your babies.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My suggestion:

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2012   #9
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Ha! I see you guys have your humor hats on today!!

Greg
Old January 23, 2012   #10
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

btw Feldon, That's an incredible pic!!

Greg
Old January 31, 2012   #11
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

Once it is in I dont think you can kill it. The squash bug of grass ....
Old March 13, 2012   #12
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

I have a huge hate for Bermuda grass. Year after year, I would shovel everywhere and pull it out of the ground, and it always came back. Under shade cloth and bricks, it would create white gnarled matts of roots to be routed.

Finally, I let my small flock of chickens free range last year. No grass this year! It's wonderful. However, those same chickens adored my tomatoes (they left the cherry tomatoes alone though) and pecked them all. This year, I'll have to put a coat of shade cloth at chicken level, and hope that keeps some for us.
vermiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2012   #13
dustyrivergarden
Tomatovillian™

lol vermiit let not your heart be troubled it will be back... my chickens pick mine down every year and take the chickens out it will be back....
Old March 14, 2012   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have found a product called Grass Killer by Hi- Yield that is fairly effective at controlling Bermuda grass. It is applied mixing one gallon of water with 1 ounce of Grass Killer and one ounce of oil. It usually takes two applications and can be used around most other plants without affecting them. There is a long list of vegetables that it can be used with but there are some wait times so I would avoid contact with most of them; but unlike Round-Up the drift will not damage most desirableness. You can get it at many garden centers or farm supply stores. I have included a link to a site that sells it because they have a link for the label and the MSDS sheet so you can read them and decide if you want to try it. I have been using it for a couple of years after the county extension agent's recommendation. In my experience it seems to work better applied in the spring when the Bermuda grass is young.

http://store.parsonspestcontrol.com/...herbicide.aspx
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14, 2012   #15
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I've been using a product called "Terminator". It is carried by Walmart and the wait time to plant tomato seedlings is only 3 days. It will even kill poison ivy. It just doesn't do it fast. It only affects what it touches and is rainproof in about 2 hours. It says it does not accumulate in the soil and bio-degrades quickly.

This year, I sprayed back in February on a warm day. I surrounded the garden for about 2 feet out from the planting area. Then I sprayed everything green IN the planting area. Everything it touched turned yellow and died.

A test case in my sprouting room has proven to back up the statement that it does not reside in the soil. I have a few tomatoes sprouting in a test container. That soil was sprayed three weeks ago and the container set outside. The seeds went in after two weeks and now I have enough seedlings coming up to be able to say that I see no ill effects.

It's working for me so far.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote