Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 20, 2011   #1
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Default Free Compost from Municipalities

I have found a source for free compost from the city where I work, Minnetonka, MN. The compost appears to be very healthy, has a great sweet smell and is very dark in color. They only allow compost-able bags to be used. The compost consists primarily of lawn clippings and leaves.

My question: is it safe to use in a vegetable garden?

I'm concerned about pesticides people use in their lawns, etc. Would that break down in the composting process. Looking for a scientific answer from someone who understands the science.

Thanks,

Patrick
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #2
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I was interested in this same issue myself. This website offers some information:

http://watoxics.org/healthy-living/h...cts-fertilizer
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Well even though you asked for a scientific answer I cant give you that but I can give you a common sense answer.

First understand what chemicals?

There are many different kinds and if you got it from my yard you would have nothing to worry about.
If you got it from someone elses yard you would.
As you should know, some chemicals break down and others dont and what you get from a community compost pile from a yard would be everything in the book.
Some of this stuff plainly states dont use in a vegetable garden and do not grow vegetables in the soil for so and so amount of time after use.

I would say if you were worried about such things then dont use it.

They dont make people put double back flow preventers on automatic sprinkler systems for nothing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #4
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

We have this compost also, they cook it for 3 years in huge piles, each pile is 1 years cooking, very dark, no sticks either.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #5
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I would be concerned with walnut, hickory, or sweetgum leaves. Those can carry Juglone and hurt tomatoes and many other veggies. Free is always good. But maybe you should use the free stuff on regular flowers and shift the budgeted dollars for flower compost to the tomato side and simply buy the good stuff for the toms.

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2011   #6
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Before using it in a garden, I'd test some seeds in it -- something fast such as lettuces or radishes. If the seeds grow and don't look deformed after a week or so, it's probably ok. But I'd still be cautious about using it for root crops or close-to-the-ground leaf/berry crops.

And just because you've used it before doesn't mean THIS batch is ok. Roz Creasy, who writes about edible landscaping, has talked about the time nothing in her garden would grow. She'd gotten compost from the same source for decades, but this particular batch was contaminated.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #7
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

I was at the garden center this weekend, waiting patiently for the staff to find some blood meal that I had special ordered, and had the opportunity to eavesdrop on customer/staff Q&A. In the space of twenty minutes, several people came in with various "weed" problems. The recommendations started with RoundUp and escalated from there.

Hanging out here at T-Ville, where many folks seem somewhat inclined toward organic growing, gives one a false sense of environmental security. My guess is that for every one person who is committed to treading lightly on the earth, there are ten who are weekend warriors who like to play Rambo with anything that threatens their slice of green.

Just an observation when considering the merits of "community" compost.
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #8
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Fortyonenorth, I agree wholeheartedly, however, if you read the article you posted, it would appear that the benefits far outweigh the risks. I assume in MN, the compost would have to be cooked for 3+ years to look like it does.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by recruiterg View Post
Fortyonenorth, I agree wholeheartedly, however, if you read the article you posted, it would appear that the benefits far outweigh the risks. I assume in MN, the compost would have to be cooked for 3+ years to look like it does.
To be honest sometimes when I post I give advise on what I think people should do.
I have to tell you I dont take my own advice much of the time because I like to experiment.
Failure means nothing to me if I gain information from it.

As far as the compost you have access to, if that were available to me here I would go there so many times in my truck they would run me off.

I wouldn't worry for one minute.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2011   #10
piegirl
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

I would be careful. A friend put down a small truck load (free of course) and had the same problems - nothing grew in that space for years but the compost looked nice, no weeds, no nothing. piegirl
piegirl is offline   Reply With Quote