Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 30, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro-dwarfs with fruit larger than 2 oz.?

I made a post this past summer about "Linda" -- a basket tomato from Ukraine. I would call this a near micro -- growing to a max of about 15" (although sprawling a bit). Nevertheless, a very small plant. I put two of these in a 12" hanging basket and they did great, producing a few fruit of nearly 4 oz (most 2-3 oz). I ripped out one plant and cut the other back nearly to the soil, and it regenerated, making a good run for me with some nice "fall tomatoes." I'm also going to plant a couple to grow under lights, but I'll probably have to "top" the plant due to lack of headroom.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ighlight=Linda

At least from my experience, that's quite a tomato from a plant so small. Patio F1 produces 3-4 oz fruit in large numbers, but it is much larger plant.

Are there others that produce relatively large fruit from near-micro plants? There is also a pink version of Linda that I'm going to try next season, but whether it will produce large fruit like Linda red remains to be seen.

-Greatgardens

Last edited by Greatgardens; October 31, 2017 at 06:34 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

You might ask dfollet (Dan). I grew out some of his crosses, and a few did make larger fruit, but I did not keep the seeds, because I wanted cherry-sized fruit. So such a thing does exist.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017   #3
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
I made a post this past summer about "Linda" -- a basket tomato from Ukraine. I would call this a near micro -- growing to a max of about 15" (although sprawling a bit). Nevertheless, a very small plant. I put two of these in a 12" hanging basket and they did great, producing a few fruit of nearly 4 oz (most 2-3 oz). I ripped out one plant and cut the other back nearly to the soil, and it regenerated, making a good run for me with some nice "fall tomatoes." I'm also going to plant a couple to grow under lights, but I'll probably have to "top" the plant due to lack of headroom.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ighlight=Linda

At least from my experience, that's quite a tomato from a plant so small. Patio F1 produces 3-4 oz fruit in large numbers, but it is much larger plant.

Are there others that produce relatively large fruit from near-micro plants? There is also a pink version of Linda that I'm going to try next season, but whether it will produce large fruit like Linda red remains to be seen.

-Greatgardens
I'm not aware of any, but I'd like to find some.

I missed your original 'Linda' post. One of the things I am most interested in finding is a micro with 'tomato-size' fruit, rather than 'cherry-size'. I had one that was about 13" in a 6" pot and had fruit that ranged from 3 oz to 6 oz. - real tomato size. The down-side was that there was not a mature seed between all the fruit from that plant - Go figure.

I've got several growing right now that have fruit from mega-blossoms that look like they will be well over 4 oz and and the plant stay under 12". It's the first time I've seen mega-blossoms on micros. Four out of eight F3 plants from a one of the crosses had them. It is too early to know how large the regular single-blossom fruits on those plants will be. I have my fingers crossed.

I keep hoping someone will find a large one.
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2017   #4
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have a Follett chocolate cherry that is larger than most cherries
but not quite as large as you want. Growing a few out this winter.
I'm content with the size and great taste as is.
Yet would welcome a larger size.

The problem with semi-determinate micros like Linda is the wide
sprawl. I like my Winter grows to behave, stay upright and
compact without pruning.

Last April first I attached a store bought sleeve of Cumato to one
of Dan's micros. For some reason I had second thoughts about
posting, or got busy and forgot...when I come across that pic in
my photo file every now and then, I fool myself for a sec, lol.
(5 big chocolates on that tiny plant, )

....would be nice and not impossible me thinks. Cross mine with
Linda....ten yrs later might have something.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #5
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

That's a cute story about the Cumatos! That long-term development process is a bummer for me. I'm almost 73, so I now think in terms of what can be done with F1 types. But a nice stable line would be great. Hope Dan's experiments bear fruit (and seeds)!
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure it exists, we just need to find it. 3oz is a good size but
2-2.5 is still a decent slicer.
Well, it does exist, as ColeRobbie found it. No seed,

I bet Dan finds one.

Like I mentioned, many seeds suppliers have some listed but
they all seem to sprawl, go wide, or need the room to trail down.

I keep coming across this pic of PatioPrincess but the copy says
18-24" and 4-5oz fruit. Seems more like 12-14" and 1-2oz fruit.
Typical bad info.
http://www.reimerseeds.com/patio-princess-tomato.aspx
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2, 2017   #7
Hatgirl
Tomatovillian™

I've been growing indoor windowsill tomatoes for a while now. The largest fruits have been on the taller 18inch plants. Megabyte/Megabite, 506 Dwarf Bush Early, and Snow Fairy are all about 3oz. But I have learned that larger fruits on small plants mean they real really good support!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote