Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 15, 2017   #1
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Default Early planting for Wisconsin

Last week May 10 I planted snow peas & caravel squash then 2 days later because of the warm weather I followed up with Green Beans & cukes all by seed not starters. My thinking is by the time they come out of the ground frost shouldn't be a problem, if it is I'll cover them. I'm still gonna wait to plant my starter tomato & pepper plants til the last week of May or first week of June. Had a friend recommend black crimmson, opinions on suitability for grow bag and how is their yeild compared to my favs jetstar & big boy that I'll still plant.
Jetstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017   #2
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I hope they do well. Bean germination has always been a bit dicey for me, so I used to always wait until June when I was in Z5 in Northern NY. Tomatoes always did ok for me in the cool weather, and I'd put them out May 1st with some protection. Our last frost date was about May 15.
Old May 15, 2017   #3
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Ed Weather it has been in the 70's and low 80's with lows in the high 40's so hope the beans start up ok, never tried tomatoes any earlier than last week of May but now your making me re think that>
Old May 28, 2017   #4
Jetstar
Tomatovillian™

Ok the peas are doing great the cukes, squash and beans did take nearly 2 weeks to sprout, I put 4 tomato plants up on Fri. and there adjusting well to the grow bags. Gonna wait another week to put in bell peppers, I'll try to post up some pics shortly.