Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old May 27, 2017   #1
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Default Bumper Crop Timing

Hey All,

I put a GZ and BPTD into 5 gallon containers about 2 weeks ago. I'm trying to establish more or less of a bumper crop (extra soil, containers, and of course suckers to transplant). I've read a little about bumper crops and I'm trying to determine the best timing i.e. is it based on temperatures, days to maturity, last frost etc. (maybe a combination of all)? I'm sure there might be a thread that I missed in this forum when reading up on it, but if you have any insight or can point me in the direction of the thread it would be much appreciated! I'm just outside of Atlanta, GA if this helps with and advice.

Thanks!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #2
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I'm not sure what GZ and BPTD are, but I live in southeast GA. This is only my first year growing down here, we move here from Z5 last Sept. I planted out here Mar 1. That might be a bit early for Atlanta, but it seems to me that the main harvest should be before the main summer heat and humidity. Right now my plants are large and all have ripe fruit. We've been eating ripe tomatoes since the last week in April. There is a second season in the fall, but not as big. Not sure when the perfect time to plant is, but imo, yours should have been out way before now for a bumper crop. Hopefully you didn't miss the window for max harvest, and the summer heat will be kind to your plants.
Old May 28, 2017   #3
Zeus123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by edweather View Post
I'm not sure what GZ and BPTD are, but I live in southeast GA. This is only my first year growing down here, we move here from Z5 last Sept. I planted out here Mar 1. That might be a bit early for Atlanta, but it seems to me that the main harvest should be before the main summer heat and humidity. Right now my plants are large and all have ripe fruit. We've been eating ripe tomatoes since the last week in April. There is a second season in the fall, but not as big. Not sure when the perfect time to plant is, but imo, yours should have been out way before now for a bumper crop. Hopefully you didn't miss the window for max harvest, and the summer heat will be kind to your plants.
Hey, thanks for the reply! What I really meant to say instead of 'timing for bumper crop' is 'timing for fall harvest'. I have about 12 plants in the ground since last week in march that are doing great. The green zebra and berkeley pink tye dye went out a couple weeks ago. Not expecting too much for them. Now I'm looking into when the best time to plant around here for a fall harvest would be. Appreciate it!

Zeus
Zeus123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #4
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I always thought a bumper crop means a massive crop.
You need to think it takes about 2.5 months from sucker to harvest. Maybe a bit less, but not too much. 1.5 months from flower to ripe, about 2 weeks for the sucker to be well rooted, 2 more weeks to establish and flower.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2017   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

You need to research of when your first expected frost date is. I would think that you would want to harvest your crops a week or two before that date. If you know the first frost date you can count backwards to find the best date to be starting your tomatoes.