Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 27, 2015   #1
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Solid growth in rootbags, plants happy.

Hello Everyone,

Plants responding well to regimen of undiluted worm tea foliar spray twice a week, its allowed me to hold off on the Daconil thus far.

The grey rootbags are mostly 25 gallons and as you can see, the plants appear happy. Cautiously optimistic. Great day to all!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg aunt rubys.cherokeepurple.homestead.jpeg (473.0 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpeg tomatoes3 and 4.jpeg (452.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg tomatoes 5 and 6.jpeg (496.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpeg tomatoes 7 and 8.jpeg (531.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpeg tomatoes 9 and 10.jpeg (496.7 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpeg volkov.greendoctors.bkbwine.jpeg (500.0 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpeg happy cukes.jpeg (460.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg cauliflower coming along.jpeg (312.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpeg zinnias to coincide with trusses.jpeg (522.0 KB, 107 views)
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #2
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Looking good, I've been wanting to buy some of these bags, finally just did before reading your post. what a coincidence.

What size is the big grey one with the tomatoes?
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

The one with the label in the middle of 3 is a 45 gallon and that was my first one, it's on re-use #3. The others are 25 gallon. The really big one (which you can't really see in these pics other than the wall) is 100 gallon, and that was a beast to fill up. Currently used for carrots and they're getting really long. Once I harvest the carrots (next 3 weeks or so) I plan on refreshing the soil and then putting in 4 diffent types of tomatoes.
I've used two different brands and the Aurora ones are quite acceptable, althought the Root Pouch are better quality. Haven't anted up for the SmartPots yet, they seem overpriced to me. What size and brand did you get taboule? I recommend u place some sturdy wood underneath in case you need to move them around, otherwise the bear hug can be tough if you're under 6 ft.
Old April 27, 2015   #4
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I bought the grey ones from GH Megastore, 4 sizes, 3g, 5g, 10g, and 15g 10 of each. They were out of the next size up and i thought enough is enough.

The smaller ones would be mostly to give as gifts (with tomato or pepper) to get people excited about veggies. The medium sizes are for some of my peppers. Anything big goes in the ground.

No plans to move any that I keep, would set them up with drip irrigation and leave them until it's all over in the fall.

BTW, looks like you're a new comer, Welcome and enjoy the site.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #5
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for posting! I've been looking into getting some root pouches but have been waiting to see some pics and hear experiences.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2015   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

@taboule I've already enjoyed the site quite a bit, learning a lot. Those sound like great gifts. I'd love to put mine in the ground but my configurarion doesn't allow it, so I've resorted to these instead of a raised bed, and they've worked out great for me.
@shatbox: give them a shot, you won't regret it. Just make sure to press the soil around the edges to fill them out and leave as little space as possible between the soil and the bag wall; it keeps water from running down the edge..
Old April 27, 2015   #7
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Nice looking plants Gerardo. I am looking to start using root bags/root pouches/walmart bags etc.. So looking at your pictures and your experience with them helps. I am also experimenting with coco liner as an alternative to root pouch. I think they will provide similar air pruning
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote