Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 17, 2019   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Pea Planting Time

The peas were planted two days ago and got rained on yesterday. Yay! I've tried a ton of varieties over the years and the one pea that does consistently the best in my garden is Wando. About five years ago I quit trialing other varieties next to Wando. It takes the cold and isn't bothered by early heat.

Peas are planted on each side of fencing on each side of a bed, resulting in four 18' rows (72' total) per bed and do two beds each spring. Last year we got 11 lbs of shelled peas from the two beds, 13 lbs the year before. That's about the average. There are only two more bags left in the freezer.

Last year I tried using field fencing as the trellis rather than the short stuff I've been using. It worked great and will eliminate the need to run twine higher up between the stakes for more support later so I decided to use only the field fencing this year. Looks I need to cut the ends off as I cut 6" too much. The big bolt cutters will do that job in a heartbeat.

First I pounded in the stakes 10" in from the side boards. Then I put some mulch leaves down the middle, enough so that once the peas come up I can push the leaves back out to the inside edges of the pea rows. Peas were planted along the inside of where the fence will be. Then the fence was put up and another row of peas planted along the outside edge of the fence.

This afternoon it should get to about 55 and then I'll go out and begin prep of another bed. More rain is coming in tomorrow so I need to get that prep done today. Thursday I will be sowing turnip and beet seed on the sides of that bed.

As a side note, it took 2.6 oz of seed for each bed, sowing 2" apart. Although they don't normally carry Wando, my local feed & seed was willing to order some in for me when I told them I needed a half pound (will be trying some in the fall too) and a friend also wanted some. They only charged $4.50/lb! The $2.25 for my half pound might buy just 2 oz from a catalog!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote