Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old November 20, 2017   #31
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

That is the truth, Worth. If you can't afford that, a balsamic reduction or a prepared product will do as well. I like a Fig, Elderberry and Balsamic drizzle that I buy as well. I hope one day, someone here creates a smile that licks its lips. We could really use that.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017   #32
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have to defend Carolyn, just a bit though. The vinegar solution that had been talked about before her post definitely does not go with ice cream!
Old November 20, 2017   #33
imp
Tomatovillian™

I've always used a mild bleach solution to swish my vegetables in, and then a running water rinse. Not because of listeria, but seeing people cough or sneeze on produce and hands...well, hands are often dirty, so everything gets a wash just about. Looks odd to see veggies and fruit drying in the dish rack!

But then I've been putting in a bit of bleach in my wash water for dishes for years, too. About a 1 in 9 ratio.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017   #34
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My point was you can't wash ice cream.
And yes they have found stuff in it.
Darn near put Blue bell out of business.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017   #35
imp
Tomatovillian™

I use the same strength or slightly stronger ( for the spray I don't measure exactly) for the wiping down of counters and appliances, both big and small. Done this since school and learning about culturing common objects, LOL, which made everyone want to bleach themselves and wrap up in saran wrap for a week or two! Then, like most, we did resume a more casual attitude at times.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017   #36
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Your right Worth... Blue bell did just about go broke over it... but really, I have never had a desire to have vinegar with my icecream. I actually don't even like icecream, I would rather have the vinegar. it is safer anyway, huh? did they ever actually find where the listeria came from with the bluebell contamination? I don't remember ever hearing. Listeria grows in the cold damp environment unlike many other bacteria.
Old November 20, 2017   #37
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have no idea at this time.
I eat about a gallon of ice cream a year.
In two sittings.
Aged vinegar is sweet and tart you use it by the drop.
Worth
Old November 20, 2017   #38
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Most of México relies on Microdyn, and the bugs are plentiful.

A colloidal silver solution, at 0.35 %. MX-themed markets in the US should carry it, it's our security blanket for consuming leafy greens and other veggies, especially problem prone ones like Cilantro.

I'll take chronic toxicity over explosions.

Last edited by Gerardo; November 20, 2017 at 09:58 PM.
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #39
Waiting
Tomatovillian™

Very often the problem products are packaged or processed in some way, like pre-cut mixed salads. I've noticed that bagged fresh spinach is sometimes a culprit but never a bundle that simply has one of those wide twist ties. I think poor sanitation at processing plants contributes a lot to the problem, as does things being sealed in plastic, rather that exposed to the open air.

The admonition about eating nuts that aren't pre-shelled and blanched or treated with a carcinogen is one that floors me. I grew up eating raw unprocessed nuts of all types and now filberts and almonds have to be treated? Something has changed and it's not for the best.
Waiting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #40
LDiane

Does cooking destroy the listeria?
Old November 23, 2017   #41
bower
Tomatovillian™

You can kill listeria by cooking at above 65 C.
https://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/listeria

Listeria isn't usually found on vegetables, it's the uncooked or processed meats or unpasteurized dairy that usually host it. It can grow at cold temperatures and it tolerates salty environments, hence the troublesome issues in processed meats and cheeses.

Cross contamination has obviously become the biggest issue, at the processing plant level. Nuts? shouldn't be a problem and neither should veggies, as long as you're strict about preventing your vegs from coming in contact with raw meat you should be safe with home cooked and prepped food. But somewhere back up the food delivery chain, facilities where listeria is a resident must have been used for nuts, vegs etc. as well as meats.
This page gives a good food safety overview
https://www.foodsafety.gov/poisoning...ria/index.html
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2017   #42
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDiane View Post
Does cooking destroy the listeria?
Actually, here's a better answer with time as well as temperature.
This table from a NZ government pathogen fact sheet, shows that 74 C will kill listeria instantly, at other temps it will take longer.
Old November 23, 2017   #43
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I read the problem in part is cut veggies, that cut with knives in the field. The knives can become contaminated from soil with ecoli, they contaminate the cut end of the veggie, and the veggie produces a substance that seals off the cut end. Once it seals off the contaminated cut end, that contamination can no longer be washed off. That was the apparently the problem the time I heard that some contaminated lettuce was infected and washing wouldn't help. I had nothing to do with being in bag that time. I am sure there are different sources of contamination, some that would helped by washing, and some that would not.
Old November 24, 2017   #44
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I read the problem in part is cut veggies, that cut with knives in the field. The knives can become contaminated from soil with ecoli, they contaminate the cut end of the veggie, and the veggie produces a substance that seals off the cut end. Once it seals off the contaminated cut end, that contamination can no longer be washed off. That was the apparently the problem the time I heard that some contaminated lettuce was infected and washing wouldn't help. I had nothing to do with being in bag that time. I am sure there are different sources of contamination, some that would helped by washing, and some that would not.
Wow.. that is good to know.
I always had the habit of cutting off the cut end of asparagus, lettuce etc. bought vegetables. Just the past year I was doing that one day, and thinking, this is totally overkill in all likelihood, a habit that is just a waste of my time making it more tedious to eat my veggies.
I guess I never knew exactly why I was doing that, at least Listeria was far from my mind.
Anyway I think I will keep my old habits after all.
Old November 24, 2017   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The sanitary conditions for these field workers are non existent just as they are on job sites.
That is where I think much of it comes from.
Worth