Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 14, 2017   #1
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Default Paste/Roma-type Toms.

Have you grown any paste tomatoes that have pretty good flavor and good shelf life? I am looking one with the typical Roma characteristics of thick walls and not terribly juicy to try one next season. Determinate or ind. is fine.
-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Check out Fred's Artisan varieties...Fire and Marzano Fire.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Have you grown any paste tomatoes that have pretty good flavor and good shelf life? I am looking one with the typical Roma characteristics of thick walls and not terribly juicy to try one next season. Determinate or ind. is fine.
-GG
I suggest you check out the following for more information at Tania's website and if you don't know about it I can give you a link.

Here are a few I have grown and IMO would satisfy your flavor and shelf like wants

Opalka
Dix Doight deNaples
Heidi
Ludmilla's Red Plum
Mama Leone
Martino's Roma
Perito italian
Prue
Sarnowski Polish Plum
Tony's Italian.

No Costolutos and no San Marzano suggestions from me

But the fact is that many no longer use paste types for sauce,etc. What they use are great tasting heart varieties which have few seeds and I would agree with that.Some use 1/2 hearts and 1/2 Paste types,then cook down slowly to the desired consistency you want.

Carolyn
Old December 14, 2017   #4
charline
Tomatovillian™

Deep Space
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #5
Lindalana
Tomatovillian™

Tried Perito Italian and it is fantastic in taste, also very good for paste qualities.
Also did Kenosha Paste- very productive, Damskie Palchiki- it is roma on steroids, very large plant.
Italian plum was very productive as well.
Lindalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2017   #6
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Rio Grande is quite dry and holds pretty well. I thought the juicier ones (Roma, San Marzano Nano, Napoli, etc.) had better taste, though.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017   #7
dokutaaguriin
Tomatovillian™

Romeo is a nice large, dry paste tomato
http://caseysheirloomtomatoes.ca/see...ne--paste.html
Jeff
dokutaaguriin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017   #8
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Oroma the last couple of years. They are small to medium sized, not dry, but not dripping with juice, taste is good for a paste, and they will hold for weeks after picking if kept in a cool location.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017   #9
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Opalka is a great paste tomato... If it's watered regularly... If not BER loves it.
I do like San Marzano when it's a good year for them... Short plants lots of tomatoes... Great sauce! I agree though, hearts are the way to go for sauce...
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2017   #10
nicky
Tomatovillian™

I second Deep Space 9.

For hearts, I really like them all . Mazarini had a particularly nice taste.

nickysgarden.wordpress.com
nicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017   #11
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

Certainly some interesting paste varieties here. Many I've never heard of before.

Perhaps I should add a couple myself. Both with excellent production, but I don't recall about shelf life. Super Marzano hybrid (Ind) and Plum Dandy hybrid (Det). Super Marzano was super-productive, and the only negative I recall was the tendency to drop tomatoes when ripe. I see that Tomatofest has a de-hybridized version of this, but I've never tried it. Plum Dandy is an earlier paste version from Dr. Gardner. Also excellent productivity, and came through to harvest with minimum foliage disease. I was really impressed with this one.

-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 18, 2017 at 10:34 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2017   #12
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
Certainly some interesting paste varieties here. Many I've never heard of before.

Perhaps I should add a couple myself. Both with excellent production, but I don't recall about shelf life. Super Marzano hybrid (Ind) and Plum Dandy hybrid (Det). Super Marzano was super-productive, and the only negative I recall was the tendency to drop tomatoes when ripe. I see that Tomatofest has a de-hybridized version of this, but I've never tried it. Plum Dandy is an earlier paste version from Dr. Gardner. Also excellent productivity, and came through to harvest with minimum foliage disease. I was really impressed with this one.

-GG
I cannot believe what I just read when doing a search and found that the well known tomato breeder was head of the Dept of math at NYS Teachers college in Albany,and the heads of the depts were each heads at the Milne School where I was and knew him well.My math teacher at Milne as well as for all other classes were seniors at the Teacher's college, physically connected to Milne, Randy and others were there to go into the room where they were teaching a few times each week and then discuss their performance with them.

Here's the link

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/tim...?pid=184181490

So now I know what he was doing before I ever met him when he was in NC breeding tomatoes.He wanted to use some heirloom tomatoes to improve the taste of his hybrids,I sent him many.

Fusion also knew him and both of us would test grow for him his newest ones. Tom Wagner also wanted some seeds ( genes) from him but that was a different story since Tom was a professional breeder so had to sign some papers,I don't remember the rest.

Each Xmas I would send him one of my Jacquie Lawson e-cards from England,the one he loved the best was a young boy dragging a sled up a slope with a violin case strapped to the sled.He'd get it out and play beautiful music.

Randy asked me to please send him that one every year since he was also a violin player himself and folks brought to him ones that needed new strings and he fixed them,obviously no charge.

When you send those e-cards the person can then get back to you and thank you.The last few years he never got back to me, direct e-mails alone made no difference. I knew he had health problems,many,one was blood clots,another were heart problems.

After he retired from NC he would spend summers back at the farm where he was raised which was in VA and then go back down to NC for the winter.

I didn't recognize Plum Dandy so did a Google search, and that's where I found this obit.

For his newest varieties they had a contract with Bejo seeds in the Netherlands,they also had a placein WNYS, but for two years the growouts were lousy so Randy sent me BIG bags of seed for

Plum Regal F1
Smarty F1
Mountain Magic F1

......and asked if I would do a seed offer here at Tville, he was also a member here, I did so and folks here got seeds befor any commercial place did

I know Smarty F1 ended up at Johnny's Seeds,I don't remember where the other two went but the one that was requested the most from my seed offer was Mountain Magic F! b/c of all the genes bred into it that quite a few folks wanted to use in their breeding projects as well to capture those genes.

What I'm going to do is to link to this thread in the Off Topic Forum so all the registered members can see it and tell them where to start reading about Randy.

Randy is just too important not to have folks here know about it. Just take his Mountain series for one outstanding accomplishment.

I look at that picture of Dr. Gardner in the obit and see him in his office behind his oak desk on the first floor at Milne.

Incredible.

Carolyn
Old December 20, 2017   #13
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I grew Granadero last year and it blew me away. Very hard to kill, no BER, very dry and highly productive.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/vegetable...sz=18&start=19
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote