Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old September 23, 2012   #1
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Sungold F1 starts.

Has anyone south of Lake Ocochobee grown Sungolds.Need to know of anything to watch out for.Mainly splitting and cracking,and if any seed start and heat problems.I am in process of trying for first time.Having some drooping in sun exposure(5 out of 11).Seeds are F1 from Johnnys Selected.Anyone else in hot humid climes have any notes?
Old September 23, 2012   #2
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

I've been trying to grow Sungold for a few years with variable success. It's always the first to develop Bacterial Speck in my garden, and I only had a few handfuls of fruit this year. Some splitting, but not as bad as others report (probably because I pick at first blush and ripen on the counter).
Old September 23, 2012   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They are best when picked UT orange, heavy rain will split them and they live all summer long putting out fruit.

I fell in love with these tomatoes from the start.

Worth
Old September 24, 2012   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Worth "UT"? Thanx Jess.Wife saw them and said they were "cute".Cute means "buy".Man has last word"Yes Dear".
Old September 24, 2012   #5
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I dunno what UT is, but at least with my sungolds they only develop the most vibrant shade of orange and sweetest taste when left to ripen all the way on the vine. They seem more translucent or something when ripened indoors.

Good tomato, there's a reason it's so popular. I've grown it every year I've grown tomatoes.
Old September 24, 2012   #6
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

UT is University of TX Orange coloring. I want to try these just because the color sounds so beautiful and it would sure look nice in a salad.

~Margaret Atwood~

Old November 10, 2012   #7
chance
Tomatovillian™

I've had terrific results with Sungold in zone9. All other varieties done by June 10th to
20th. Sungold vines can be 10-12 feet long and still producing til end of July.
Old November 10, 2012   #8
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Thanx a lot to all.Just went ahead a started some Sungold F1,Sungold OP and a Sungold Select2.I know the latters come from Europe and are larger.Seedlings are at 8-12 inches.We will see what happens.
Old November 15, 2012   #9
FreyaFL
Tomatovillian™

Kurt, where did you get your seeds? (Is Johnny's Select something one can buy at a store or do you have to order?) I'd like to have some of these going toward spring to see if they'll produce into the summer.

Have you tried any other heat tolerant varieties yet? I've got Tropic and Solar Fire going now (SF is nearly done, hadn't realized it's a determinate.) Haven't tasted either yet, so no idea on that.
Old November 15, 2012   #10
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and ordered some Sungold OP,Sungold Select from Solana.Got some Hawaiian seeds from University of Hawaii seed program,Healani,Konohama,N-63.The Hawaiian have a good report on disease/heat capabilitys.Fisr time for all the above.I am still at 1-2ft will not transplant(final resting container) till I come back from Pa for Thanksgiving.there are some pictures from Hawaiin Healani from HiPoha posted here a couple of days ago.Tatianas has listings,Got the Sungold F1 from Johnnys.http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=25422

Last edited by kurt; November 15, 2012 at 10:57 AM. Reason: Spelling and HiPoha post found