Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old September 1, 2007   #1
gardengalrn
Tomatovillian™

Default Just too darn hot

I have gotten somewhat settled in my new digs here in KS. I knew it would be hot but somehow imagined that it wouldn't be as bad as KY, with the horrid humidity. How wrong I was!!
I thought by waiting until the sun went down before canning several batches of Annie's Salsa vs. Mrs. Wage's (for comparison) I would avoid problems. Again, wrong. I have a gas stove here and had never canned on gas, so a bit of a learning curve there. It took quite a long time and before I knew it, the house was blistering despite running the air full throttle. I will never do this again. I was in fear that my air con unit would spontaneously combust. My plan for next year will be to get one of those free-standing cooking plates, the gas type we have discussed here before. I will either place it in the basement or outside, depending on the weather. Our basement is unfinished and very cool, no matter the temp outside.
For the record, the family preferred Annie's Salsa to Mrs. Wage's. My SIL does Mrs. Wage's and I really liked it when she prepared it. I preferred Annie's and my menfolk aren't stupid, they knew I had spent hours cutting and chopping the ingredients and decided that Annie's was by far the best
gardengalrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2007   #2
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

We have been the the 90s all week and it has been hot, but not humid thank goodness. I can't imagine what it would be like to can with humidity. Did you use a pressure cooker or a regular canner? Hopefully I'll have enough tomatoes to start canning some salsa soon, maybe by Monday. I have central air, but I still wait until evening to do the cooking---mostly because the kids are asleep, but being able to open a window and have it be cool outside helps. Canning in a cool basement sounds better than outside---at least there wouldn't be bugs or mosquitoes. Good luck!

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2007   #3
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Lori, I use a window fan to pull the hot air out of the kitchen when I'm heating it up with stove and sometimes oven going at the same time. I did two cases of Annie's Salsa today.
Old September 3, 2007   #4
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I've just sat down and called it a night from canning/pickling. Been at it since about 10am this morning with a few breaks here and there. And I can totally relate to how heated up the kitchen gets. Think it was as hot inside as it was outside...or more today.

I had two "monster" pots that make most canning kettles look small, full of brine for the hot pack pickles. And I went through 4 pots full today. Allot slower rate than normal, but then again, I'm working on my own, instead of with my usual marathon crew. So I think I've "only" got about 70 1L/quart jars and think I did 4 500ml/pint jars done. I've probably got close to the same to do tomorrow.

Had to move the pickling marathon forward a weekend, because my sister decided to have my nephew's christening next Sunday....and since I'd already planned to go to the WNY Tomatofest or whatever we're calling it now, next weekend was shot. Unfortunately, time is running out on getting quality cukes for pickling, and I couldn't wait another 2 weeks and guarantee that I'd have them available....so that meant that my team wasn't available this weekend. So the kitchen is hot hot hot hot and I'm off to bed...as soon as I finish my iced tea.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #5
spyfferoni
Tomatovillian™

Earl,
When you make Annie's Salsa do you do it in double batches? Do you pressure can yours? I want to can a bunch---last year I made 3 batches and it wasn't enough. Do you have any tips to make it go by faster? Last year I did a lot of chopping, and I'm thinking of trying the food processor this year, but I don't want the pieces to be too small. I'm trying to figure out how I can get the family involved without them making a mess of things or getting in the way. I learned a lot helping my mom when I was younger.

Tyffanie
spyfferoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3, 2007   #6
felpec
Tomatovillian™

Well, I'm not Earl, but I've made gallons of Annie's Salsa over the last two years. I can tell you what I do, and you can take it for what it's worth .

I chop enough vegetables for a double/triple/quadruple batch, but cook it a single batch at a time. I usually do canning by myself, so it's easier for me to cook it one batch at a time, fill one batch of jars, then while that's boiling away, get started prepping the next batch.

I BWB mine for two reasons: I like the added vinegar anyway (I usually use 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 lime juice) and I think it takes less time and is less stressful to BWB a batch at a time rather than really scrambling to get 12-14 pints cooked, jars filled and into the pressure canner.

I have done both the manual chopping routine and I've used the food processor for the onions and peppers. I found I had to drain the processed onions/peppers for an hour or so to get rid of the excess liquid and the pieces did come out kind of small. But when I took a few jars of both kinds to a family reunion, it was split 50-50 as to the favorite texture. Half really liked the hand chopped stuff and half preferred the less chunky stuff. So I guess it's a personal preference. I liked them both.

The best time saver I found this year was setting up my canning station outside. Big cutting board (DH used to be a cabinet maker so we have big pieces of Corian countertop material) on sawhorses, a 20 gallon garbage can for the compost trimmings, and just hose everything off when I'm done.

The water bath or the pressure canner both work great on the propane burner stand that came with our smoker. It's great to have all the heat be outside (we don't have air conditioning, so it's unbearable in the kitchen in August) and clean up is SO much easier.

Hope this somewhat long-winded response was of some help to you.
felpec is offline   Reply With Quote