Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old April 2, 2012   #1
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

Default lost art of opening old wire bail Ball jars

I have a couple of old Ball jars with the rubber gasket and wire bail closure. I'm having a hard time opening the jars because the wire bail is very tight, even after I "loosen" the bail, and I can't pull the wire down without scraping the glass top. The glass ridge on the jar top is perpendicular to the wire. Is it supposed to fit this tight, or am I missing something?

Last edited by blokesmom; April 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM. Reason: spelling error
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #2
Zana
Tomatovillian™

It is supposed to be very snug...but not so tight that you can't open it. Could be that it wasn't aligned properly when it was closed...the rubber gasket has shifted or a combo of the two....just some guesses on my part. Also check to see if the wire bale is out of alignment - that the hinges have shifted out of alignment.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #3
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

They do have to fit pretty tight. A couple of things can happen to make them too tight (or too loose )....

First the lids and jars can become mismatched over the years as some jars got broken and some lids got broken. Folks mixed and matched to save what they could.
Usually just tweaking the bail will work that out.

Second, the rubber seal can be replaced with one of a different thickness. Usually I run into the case were the new one is thicker making teh jars hard to close or open....

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #4
blokesmom
Tomatovillian™

I made adjustments to the bail, and now I can actually open the jar without using a clothespin for leverage. Thank you to you both!
blokesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #5
Zana
Tomatovillian™

Glad to be of help....I've been there and fiddled with one that wouldn't open too.
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2, 2012   #6
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear it!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote