Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old May 8, 2015   #1
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this a megabloom?

Hello Everyone:

Apologies for the picture quality, but my phone's camera hasn't recovered from a recent fall. This a True Black Brandywine.

Also got a few large ones on a Cherokee Purple and a Black Krim, more or less in the same growth stage, with the initial blooms or thereabouts.

Should I 86 'em? Lots of bees and butterflies due to citrus trees blooming, so pollination has been outstanding, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bloom 5.jpg (239.7 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg bloom 6.jpg (247.9 KB, 229 views)
File Type: jpg zoom bloom 1.jpg (244.6 KB, 230 views)
File Type: jpg bloom 2.jpg (245.0 KB, 232 views)
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #2
Iva
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this IS a megabloom. If you are after big fruits, keep these, as you can sometimes expect very large fruits from these.

If you are after seeds (after eating the fruits of course) that are most likely not crossed, do not save them from fruits that form from megablooms. Those tend to be crossed.
Iva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #3
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Iva, that answers everything! They shall stay.
Old May 8, 2015   #4
JohnJones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerardo View Post
Hello Everyone:

Apologies for the picture quality, but my phone's camera hasn't recovered from a recent fall. This a True Black Brandywine.

Also got a few large ones on a Cherokee Purple and a Black Krim, more or less in the same growth stage, with the initial blooms or thereabouts.

Should I 86 'em? Lots of bees and butterflies due to citrus trees blooming, so pollination has been outstanding, if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Yes, definitely fused blossoms.

In my experience, they are not necessarily crossed (I have quite a few and VERY little bee activity), they typically show up early in the season during cooler temps. I think the blossoms have more trouble developing normally in lower temps.

Maybe some pros can comment and confirm or refute this.
JohnJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I'm a little different on these things.
To me they take up energy from good normal tomatoes.
Often times mega blooms produce inedible tomatoes with a hard woody inside.
So if they are too mega tbey get pinched.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2015   #6
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the reply JohnJ and Worth, I'll monitor them and see how they develop.
Old May 8, 2015   #7
bower
Tomatovillian™

I have had a lot of disappointments with megabloom fruit, that ripened so unevenly you couldn't eat without tossing away half. I think Worth is right.

I find it hard to pinch the first flower though! So exciting to see them - and the megablooms are really pretty in their own way - wow yours are very cool! Could be a keeper for the ugly fruit competition...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #8
Jazdoma
Tomatovillian™

Well, I have different view on megabloom fruits. They can look awsome in some cases.
Something unique and special.

Jazdoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2016   #9
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Awesome!
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #10
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Just Lovely. What variety is it?
Old January 12, 2016   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazdoma View Post
Well, I have different view on megabloom fruits. They can look awsome in some cases.
Something unique and special.

Yes they can look awesome especially to those who grow big tomatoes for competetion, not especially for taste, and IMO not so unique at all, since many varieties, especially PL varieties can form them early in the season and then stop doing so later on.

Just don't try saving seeds from them since each fused fruit can give rise to very different results so you won't get pure seeds back.

Carolyn
Old January 12, 2016   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

After reading Marvin's book "Giant Tomatoes" I'm carefully looking out for any megabloom. Anxious to try out my surgical technique to insure proper pollination of all the players. Otherwise, you end up with a wrinkled potato looking thing on one end.
Old January 12, 2016   #13
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I grew a plant that produced mega blooms on part of it, and the fruit looked impressively odd. I decided to grow it. They were not edible. The plant was supposed to be a Japanese Black Trifile (JBT), but JBT shaped tomatoes were about the only shaped tomatoes it didn't produce. I have no idea what the cross was because I didn't grow its parents, but I saved seeds from tomatoes on that plant that tasted good. I'm not sure if I'll ever grow it again, but the possibility is there. I did find that I have a couple of seeds left from that JBT seed source - I wrote F1 on that seed pack and they are stored beside the seeds I saved. I'm pretty sure Mother Nature wouldn't mind having a seed pack saved here and there of ones that didn't quite make it.

I know it's not what you asked Gerardo, but it is how I dealt with our first mega bloom. I'll most likely do it again when it happens, but I grow a lot of tomatoes - like you do.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2016   #14
Jazdoma
Tomatovillian™

Well, in my case it was Pineapple mega bloom and there were 11 tomatoes fused in one .
I saved seeds just for fun, but there were not many. Taste was not good, sure not like Pineapple.
Some parts were overrippen and some parts in early stage of rippening. The only reason for growing was strange look and to see what will come out.
I am not sure, but the reason for mega bloom was, I guess, temperature changes last summer in my greenhouse at the time of forming flowers.
Jazdoma is offline   Reply With Quote