Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 23, 2012   #1
aimeruni
Tomatovillian™

Default help with timing for planting potatoes!

I know they're a cool weather crop. Normally w/my zone and where I'm located, they're planted at the beginning of our growing season, which is May 28th.

However the winter has been mild, and spring has arrived early, so I'm wondering If I can grow them now, or is it too early for where I'm at?
Normally I wouldn't grow anything at this time of year for where I'm at, but the weather has warmed very early for where I'm at, there's no snow on the ground. What few 'frosts' there are are just light snow (less than an inch).

The varieties I'd be growing are sweet potatoes, Yukon Gold, Red, blue, and 'new' (white) potatoes. They'd be harvested at full maturity, as well as 'baby' potatoes.
aimeruni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2012   #2
Lcottomsvcs
Tomatovillian™

For the sweet potatoes, I would suggest visiting Sandhill Preservation Center's sweet potato page, he is very good at explaining how to time sweet potato planting (www.sandhillpreservation.com).

For the Irish potatoes, wait until 2 weeks before your last anticipated freeze date . That way your soil will have time to warm up. If you have plants emerged and a freeze is imminent, you can always hill a little soil over the plants( or cover them with row cover).

The farmers have gone crazy here in Indiana with the warm weather, and have planted much earlier than usual. But just because April has been unseasonably warm, does not mean May will be. I know people who already have the tomatoes out, a month early for us.

Good luck with your potatoes,and happy gardening!
Old April 24, 2012   #3
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I plant potatoes around May 1st and I am in zone 6b , this year I put some tubers around April 14 and some others April 21. I probably plant a late crop around May 20.
Old April 24, 2012   #4
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm in 6b and plant some Red Norland and Yukon Gold (or any early type) for new potatoes in late March only using whole, small tubers. For storage, any variety that keeps well can be planted until mid-May or so. I can't plant too late here because of leaf disease taking out the plants in the summer. Sweet potato slips go in at the same time as peppers as the leaves are extremely frost sensitive and the plants love the heat.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote