Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old March 16, 2016   #46
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Yeah it should be written clearly on the package if it is food grade or not.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #47
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by efisakov View Post
Few years ago Robin posted this:
RobinB: “…diatomaceous earth and an empty spray bottle, put one T of DE into a 32oz bottle, fill with water and shake until the DE dissolves. Then spray those plants with spider mites. When it dries you will see a white film on the plant. Reapply after it rains.”

It worked for me.

For the fungus gnats larvae ...
I use mixture of water and Peroxide (4 to 1) on my seedlings 1-2 times a week for prevention or to stop infestation. Just watering soil.
I do dust soil of seedlings with DE as well.

In the garden, marigolds help with fungus gnats. The roots are poisoned to larvae.
I got to thinking while I was transplanting some seedlings. Using the Hydrogen Peroxide while seedlings are in the house would work good I think, but what about when they are transplanted. Will the hydrogen peroxide kill off the good bacteria in the Tomato Tone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by heirloomtomaguy View Post
Yeah it should be written clearly on the package if it is food grade or not.
Good and Thank you very much!
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #48
jbond007
Tomatovillian™

Here's what I use for application.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
...and yes, use food grade. I use this for both DE and Sodium Bicarb (for mold).
jbond007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #49
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I got to thinking while I was transplanting some seedlings. Using the Hydrogen Peroxide while seedlings are in the house would work good I think, but what about when they are transplanted. Will the hydrogen peroxide kill off the good bacteria in the Tomato Tone?
Hydrogen Peroxide is used as a disinfectant, it will kill bacteria and fungi and reacts with other organic matter that come in contact with it. It's not persistent, so if you don't use it after you use Tomato-Tone, that wouldn't be a problem.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2016   #50
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Hydrogen Peroxide is used as a disinfectant, it will kill bacteria and fungi and reacts with other organic matter that come in contact with it. It's not persistent, so if you don't use it after you use Tomato-Tone, that wouldn't be a problem.
I was hoping you would see my post Ray. That's what I was thinking. Glad I asked to make sure as my little seedlings are ready for their first transplant and some TT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond007 View Post
Here's what I use for application.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
...and yes, use food grade. I use this for both DE and Sodium Bicarb (for mold).
Appreciate the link. Now I know what kind of packaging to look for.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2016   #51
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Any ideas if DE will work to prevent tomato russet mites or suck bugs?
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #52
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Any ideas if DE will work to prevent tomato russet mites or suck bugs?
Used like I describe in my above post it should work on them since it effectively eliminated spider mites and aphids in my garden last summer without frequent use. Every other method of controlling spider mites has required very frequent spraying, sometimes as often as every 2 or 3 days, to get them under control and the same for aphids. There is one drawback other than the mixing process and that is you will effectively get rid of any beneficial insects until the DE is washed off. Right now I wouldn't consider using it in my garden because it is chock full of ladybugs but they usually leave along with most other beneficials when it heats up good and as a result the pests start taking over. That is when I start using my mix of DE, soapy water and Permethin. I usually start with one good spraying followed by another a week later to get the pests back under control and then after heavy rains or every 3 to 4 weeks until the late fall.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2016   #53
jpop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Used like I describe in my above post it should work on them since it effectively eliminated spider mites and aphids in my garden last summer without frequent use. Every other method of controlling spider mites has required very frequent spraying, sometimes as often as every 2 or 3 days, to get them under control and the same for aphids. There is one drawback other than the mixing process and that is you will effectively get rid of any beneficial insects until the DE is washed off. Right now I wouldn't consider using it in my garden because it is chock full of ladybugs but they usually leave along with most other beneficials when it heats up good and as a result the pests start taking over. That is when I start using my mix of DE, soapy water and Permethin. I usually start with one good spraying followed by another a week later to get the pests back under control and then after heavy rains or every 3 to 4 weeks until the late fall.

Bill
Thank you B54. Would you mind sharing your mix ratios
jpop is offline   Reply With Quote