Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old December 21, 2011   #31
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Thanks so much for clariifying the stiuation with your new company by posting the About page.

As for your Credits section, you might want to note that my book, unknown by me beforehand, went out of print this past Spring. However, if anyone goes to the sticky in this Forum where there's a thread about my book you'll see that the prices now range for what they should be to upwards of several hundreds of dollars at different sites.

As for me, I still have four unused copies here at home and am witing until the price gets up to maybe, oh $1,000/book, and the I'll consider selling.
Oh Carolyn did you go to Amazon lately....
I see someone who selling your book for $999.99
nangisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #32
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLorentz View Post
I had some pretty large ones with Earl's Faux,Stump of the World, And Cowlicks Brandywine.Average was 1-3 pounds. Keep in mind to get these monster maters a nice amount of organic mater will help.Do you have a compost bin started?

Kevin
I had compost bin and planning adding another one with worm farm but I am still thinking about. I hear worm casting much better than regular compost but touching the worm with bare hand its really struggle for me.... I hope my dad willing to do this dirty work . Or I just prepared many that's orange gardening glove...
Old December 21, 2011   #33
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangisha View Post
Oh Carolyn did you go to Amazon lately....
I see someone who selling your book for $999.99
Well there you go Carolyn, just $1 short.
Old December 21, 2011   #34
nangisha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tam91 View Post
Well there you go Carolyn, just $1 short.
No Tracy, Carolyn just 1 cent short ....

http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Hawken-H...4518510&sr=1-5

Last edited by nangisha; December 21, 2011 at 09:02 PM. Reason: link
Old December 21, 2011   #35
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nangisha View Post
No Tracy Carolyn just 1 cent short ....
Ah yes, right you are!
Sign those things Carolyn, and who knows how much you can get
Best buy up some more copies, and "enhance" your retirement.
Old December 21, 2011   #36
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just catching up with the last few posts here now.

So Tam, you want me to autograph my four own last remaining new books and then also said you want me to go out and spend $1000 on others with the expectation that those will also increase in value?

In your dreams, in your dreams.
Old December 21, 2011   #37
doublehelix
Tomatovillian™

I have to also give a nod to Slankards since it is not only a very large tomato, but a very tasy one as well. Stingy on production here in the South but well worth a spot in the garden.

Have you seen Golden Dome? It is another one that without any effort on my part made some really big tomatoes.

http://doublehelixfarms.com/golden-dome

Make sure you click the picture. There are 4 more pics on the page and one of them is a photo of a really big one.
doublehelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2011   #38
tam91
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I'm just catching up with the last few posts here now.

So Tam, you want me to autograph my four own last remaining new books and then also said you want me to go out and spend $1000 on others with the expectation that those will also increase in value?

In your dreams, in your dreams.
No, no, I was looking out for your well-being
See, you said you'd consider selling your four when the price reached $1000. Well, at only a penny short, I bet if you autographed them you'd be golden!
Also, as there are still some available at the base price, if you stocked up on some, then autographed them and got that 999.99 - see, you'd be all set .
I'll be your agent

Seriously, that is some price! I am of course just kidding around (mostly) but I think that book will be valuable. I'm still sending my personal copy to you for an autograph one of these days (hmm I am slow) - but that one certainly will not be sold.
Old December 22, 2011   #39
SEAMSFASTER
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurley View Post
It won the big tomato contest over at idig, I believe only because a few other folks held theirs back though, chivalry and all I think. next year the contest will be all out from everyone though and hosted on a different site so "game on"so to speak B-)

Sent from my X10a using Tapatalk
Lurley,

I've updated THE BIG TOMATO LIST at http://www.gianttomatoseeds.com/big_tomato_list.html with information about your winning specimen.

Steve,

I've also included info. you gave about Golden Dome.

Let me know if the information is complete, accurate, properly linked and agreeable.

Thanks, and I'll be glad to get rid of "DT" for every variety when tomato growers pass along their data and pics. A work in progress...

P.S. - Bring it on!
SEAMSFASTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20, 2016   #40
shule1

I don't know about which varieties can get the biggest, but I can tell you my experience, so far.

The varieties I've grown that got the largest fruits were these:

* Cuostralee
* Chapman
* George Detsikas Italian Red

Chapman seemed to get the most huge tomatoes on it, however, and I liked the flavor the most. All the varieties produced good, well-formed tomatoes without cracking, but Chapman looked particularly nice. I don't know how heavy they were, but I'm pretty sure one of the Chapman's was at least as wide as my head. Cuostralee's largest was probably my largest tomato, though, but I'm not sure which was the heaviest of all three varieties.

I'm growing Omar's Lebanese somewhere in the southwestern part of my tomato area, but I haven't found it, yet. I've been looking for weeks (granted I was looking for unharvested varieties generally, and not just Omar's Lebanese; I've got about 29 varieties left to harvest, out of about a hundred).

I hear Pineapple can get big, and I grew that, but it turns out my seeds were crossed or something, as the fruits were solid yellow all the way through (not bicolor). They were smaller than Celebrity F1 gets, but still decent sized (not huge by any means).

Last edited by shule1; September 20, 2016 at 09:58 PM.
Old September 20, 2016   #41
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAMSFASTER View Post
Lurley,

I've updated THE BIG TOMATO LIST at http://www.gianttomatoseeds.com/big_tomato_list.html with information about your winning specimen.

Steve,

I've also included info. you gave about Golden Dome.

Let me know if the information is complete, accurate, properly linked and agreeable.

Thanks, and I'll be glad to get rid of "DT" for every variety when tomato growers pass along their data and pics. A work in progress...

P.S. - Bring it on!
That link does not work.

I am growing a new tomato which grows huge. It is a very large brown tomato called Ruby Surprise. While not a large producer of tomatoes, they are at the 2 lb range and that is while allowing multiple fruit to develop. Besides that it tastes good too..
Old September 21, 2016   #42
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Of all the tomatoes I have grown that have given my really large fruit I would say that Omar's Lebanese and Gildo Pietroboni were the most frequent at giving up large fruit. Neither is a taste champ in my book. Others that produced very large fruit were Brandywine Sudduth's, Red Barn, Couilles de Taureau, Virginia Sweet, and Donskoi.

I am not familiar with your climate but assume it is hot and humid which means you probably won't get many really large fruit because the heat will cause them to ripen early. Couilles de Taureau and Red Barn are the more consistent producers of large fruit in the heat down here with the added benefit of being really tasty tomatoes with great texture.

Like Carolyne I don't grow for size and so most of my really big tomatoes came from varieties that I like to ear or from ones I just tried for a year or two and didn't like the flavor. Good luck with your adventure in growing really big tomatoes. They are fun to show off but I really don't know what practical value they have.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2016   #43
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

For me Delicious has produced very large fruits very consistently, this year I tried Yuvel, it produced very large fruits also.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21, 2016   #44
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

My Belmonster (Belmonte) 3 pound + 3 oz was my largest to date. I don't usually grow for size and weight. I always grow for taste. AKmark got something in the 4 pound area from Belmonster. Terhune, Delicious, and a few others are steady producers of many larger fruits.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22, 2016   #45
shule1

Have any of you tried Bill Bean? It looks enormous. Seed Treasures has it, Terhune and a few earlies that interest me; so, I'm thinking about trying Bill Bean for next year. I'm interested in giant tomatoes.

Last edited by shule1; September 22, 2016 at 12:21 AM.

Tags
biggest , heirloom