Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Florida TAG™ event information and discussion forum. Florida Tasting And Growing group

Old May 16, 2012   #1
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default →Any interest in a South and Central Florida Gathering?←

Hi to Floridians,
Is there any interest in doing a plant swap and or tomato tasting during or after the fall planting. I wish we had more than just the one in Plant City, pictures on it's website look disappointing IMHO. I can get one organized if there is some good interest.
Old May 16, 2012   #2
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a good idea.I guess we would have to take a poll and see who is growing and when thier harvest times are.Down here for me I am done at the end of Feb.So let me be the first to chime in.Kurt Homestead Florida
Old May 16, 2012   #3
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Cool Kurt,
i was hoping you would want to.
Old May 16, 2012   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

I guess since you initiated you would be the helm and make up a name for it in the gathering forum.I belong to myfolia and can start some interest since they have a S fla blog as soon as its gets going full strength.
Old May 17, 2012   #5
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
I guess since you initiated you would be the helm and make up a name for it in the gathering forum.I belong to myfolia and can start some interest since they have a S fla blog as soon as its gets going full strength.
I want to keep it casual, but anyone would be invited, even if not from Florida.
How about meeting twice, once in Nov. or Dec. to trade seedlings, and once in March (or late February) to do a tasting. I can figure out where to meet based on how many to attend.
Kurt how does the name FlaGaTagroup sound. Stands for FloridaGAther and Taste Group.? Or do you have a different suggestion?
Old May 18, 2012   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default Calling all Floridians and beyond.

Calling all Floridians and beyond(ex Floridians and family).Please support the newly proposed FLA GA TAGROUP.This stands for Florida Gather and taste Group.We need members to show Tville administrators we are serious.Details to follow once we get established.Spread the word and lets get this going.
Old May 18, 2012   #7
horses4jess
Tomatovillian™

Count me in Sounds like a great idea!
Old May 19, 2012   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Non Floridians also welcome. Bimini, Bahamas, Georgia, etc.
Old May 19, 2012   #9
donlaclair
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested in a Florida group. Don
Old May 19, 2012   #10
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Horses and Don, glad to hear of your interest. Please spread the word! ANd welcome. I will use this thread to keep everyone updated
Old May 20, 2012   #11
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

FLA GA TAGROUP. I think the name could use a bit of polish. We spent days trying out different names.

Otherwise, I think all you have to do is announce a date and a location and get some interest and Mischka will be happy to add a subforum for it.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old May 20, 2012   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldon30 View Post
FLA GA TAGROUP. I think the name could use a bit of polish. We spent days trying out different names.

Otherwise, I think all you have to do is announce a date and a location and get some interest and Mischka will be happy to add a subforum for it.
Well Ok Feldon. We did bounce around some names first, but since you mention it, what would your suggestion for a Florida group be? If it is better we'll certainly keep it instead.
Mischka has started to help by putting a sticky on this thread to keep it front and center, so it can gather more people interested. Many thanks to Mischka for this kindness.
Old May 20, 2012   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Some ideas:
  • Gator-Mater
  • Florida State Tomato Tasting
  • Florida Area Tomato Enthusiasts (FATE)
  • Tomato Club of Florida
  • Gulf Area Tomato Enthusiasts (GATE)

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old May 26, 2012   #14
meadowyck
Tomatovillian™

I'm new to tomatoville and new to trying to figure out how to grow tomatoes down here.... (still scratching head). So even though I wouldn't have any to bring, I sure could muster up an appetite for tasting.

Jan

ps so when is the time to really grow tomatoes in Florida????? Sure isn't now.

Last edited by meadowyck; May 27, 2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old May 26, 2012   #15
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

The plant swap date is Nov. 3rd from 2 to 6 pm at my house in Plantation. Please PM me for my address as I don't want to put it on the public forum
The official name is the Florida TAG group, Stands for Florida Tasting And Growing group, and I think it will be a fun time