Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old February 8, 2016   #1
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Default Ichiban Eggplant Availability?

I sent an inquiry to Bonnie Plants about Ichiban hybrid eggplant this weekend.

Ichiban was discontinued by Seminis/Monsanto a couple years ago, so there is no new seed in production or available for home gardeners. If my information is correct, the last time they produced seed was in 2010.

I found a couple Ichiban seedlings by coincidence last spring (2015) at a local garden center, labeled by Bonnie Plants. I grew them and they were great, and only afterward learned about their discontinuance.

Customer rep. replied to my inquiry this morning, and he claims they will be growing Ichiban seedlings this spring, which will be available in local big box stores here (NE Ohio) in late April to mid-May.

Maybe there's hope. He did not reply to my inquiry as to how/where/when they obtained their seeds. Maybe leftover (how long are they viable?). Maybe a substitute mislabeled for the consumer? Hard to tell, especially since I'm a newbie.

Any suggestions as to one that comes close? There are a few OP varieties that look similar, but none I've found that claim the taste (tender, sweet) and productivity of Ichiban.

Your thoughts?
TC_Manhattan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #2
ChiliPeppa
Tomatovillian™

I'm interested to know too. I grew it last year, got it as labeled from Bonnie plants at Home Depot. It's a very good eggplant.
ChiliPeppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #3
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

You can get seed here: http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Me...vc?Screen=SRCH . You probably don't need 250 seeds though. They $14 something plus shipping.

You can also see if Cross County Nursery which is Chili Plants has any of the plants in stock. Looks like the live plant is 3.75 each.

Forgot the link.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.as...uctCode=EGGICH

Last edited by Starlight; February 8, 2016 at 04:09 PM. Reason: adding link
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2016   #4
peebee
Tomatovillian™

Millionaire is a favorite among many members here; I don't know if there are any big differences between the 2 but to me, Japanese eggplants all taste similar. I like them all.
peebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #5
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
You can get seed here: http://www.hazzardsgreenhouse.com/Me...vc?Screen=SRCH . You probably don't need 250 seeds though. They $14 something plus shipping.

You can also see if Cross County Nursery which is Chili Plants has any of the plants in stock. Looks like the live plant is 3.75 each.

Forgot the link.

http://www.chileplants.com/search.as...uctCode=EGGICH
Thank you for these links!

I really want to have a conversation with them in hopes of garnering an explanation as to how it is they can obtain patented Ichiban seeds if they've been truly discontinued by Seminis. I'd hate to think a different eggplant was being substituted under the Ichiban label.

(Why does this have to be so complicated?)
Old February 10, 2016   #6
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

In my experience Eggplant seeds are viable for at least 8-10 years. I grew some 2003 Dusky seeds last year.

MikeInCypress
Old February 10, 2016   #7
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

So maybe you do want 250 seeds (if they are the correct stock)
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2016   #8
TC_Manhattan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
So maybe you do want 250 seeds (if they are the correct stock)
If I did, we could have quite the Eggplant Seed Offer party here!

Tis way more than I would ever need. Price is very good, though I couldn't locate mention of shipping charges without checking out with a purchase.

I may just order one or two from Chile Plants along with a few hard-to-find peppers, then keep my eyes peeled for the Bonnie plant starts in spring. Chile Plants requires plants be bought in multiples of six (any assortment) plants, for shipping.

That bulk seed offer is a real tease for me…