Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating eggplants/aubergines.

Old February 4, 2015   #16
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshphoto View Post
Earlier this morning, I took a handful of compost and put it in a nut bag and wrang it out in a bowl. Then I dunked it in some water and it turned a very deep brown. Not sure if that is really compost tea, but I do think the plants liked it. They perked up quite a bit since this morning.
Not really compost tea, but a compost leachate. It can't hurt but from your pictures it looks like they are suffering from nitrogen deficiency mainly. I guess you are trying to grow organically, Scotts recommendation of the Kelp spray is good, but do you have any liquid organic food that you can drench with? Fish hydrolysate or fish hydrolysate & kelp would be good to supply the nutrients the plants are lacking.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #17
Jshphoto
Tomatovillian™

Ray,

At the moment, I don't have any liquid organic food, but I do have a little bag of blood meal in the back. You think there is any way I could liquify it and use it?
Jshphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #18
JJJessee
Tomatovillian™

I think N-deficiency is a good call. The compost could be the culprit, as not all compost are alike.

I don't think blood meal tea would be a good choice for indoor use. A weak solution may work but it is a "hot" nitrogen. Easy does it.

Perhaps unrelated but, vermiculite and peat both tend to hold water. There could be an aeration issue afoot, but maybe that mix has worked for you. I would have swapped the the vermiculite for perilte.
JJJessee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4, 2015   #19
RayR
Tomatovillian™

I agree that the blood meal idea is tricky because it's very hot in N. I'd rather see a more balanced fast acting liquid fertilizer that covers a good part of the macro and micronutrients because N probably is not be the only deficiency. That's why I suggest the fish or fish/kelp. A plant in a little pot can use up what was available in the soil pretty quickly and the roots and the microorganisms can't go any further in search of nutrients.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote