Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old February 10, 2013   #11
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Stvrob, you're probably okay even if you do get rootstock suckers because, as you point out, yours all make edible fruit. That's probably good, since the foliage may not be different enough for you to tell the difference once they're growing, unless you're using potato-leaved scions. In your situation, I wouldn't sweat it. I've just been chiming in to help people avoid a situation I find somewhat annoying.

I don't think any of your rootstocks would compete with Maxifort for sheer vigorous growth--I think the thing could bust up concrete if it felt like it! Seriously, I grew out a couple of practice grafts made on Celebrity as a rootstock the first year, and I didn't have a problem with suckers getting out of control. Admittedly, they were in large pots rather than in the ground, which always seems to make them a bit more subdued, for my growing methods at least. You should be fine, especially if you're young and limber enough to get down and keep an eye on those suckers.