Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old December 6, 2019   #1
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Default HOW DO I DO THIS???

Here is a new thread to figure out how to make or do something in our kitchens. Let's ask each other for cooking and kitchen ideas.

Today I found a package of pork neck bones for a great price. I have never seen these in any store around these parts. I have never cooked with them. I am thinking a stew or soup. I have heard many of you talk about them made with pork. Want to give me your ideas... Need not be soup or stew.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old December 6, 2019   #2
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

I think the first step would be to put them on to boil with some liquid, maybe water or vegetable stock or even chicken broth. Then comes celery, onion & parsley flakes. This would be no matter what you wanted to do with them. Maybe add a bay leaf. Don't use a ton of liquid, but add as needed to keep it boiling. Add as necessary for the recipe you choose.

Is there any meat on the bones? Once they're boiled tender, let them cool & remove the meat, return the meat to the pot. If broth needs more flavor, add bouillon cubes or "Better Than Bouillon."

Next, you can add any of the following:

-barley & mushrooms, cook fully, add sour cream at the end for Pork-Barley Stroganoff.
-potato chunks, carrot chunks, onion chunks for stew, with or without dumplings for Pork Stew.
-thick kluski noodles & chopped carrots for Pork Noodle Soup.
-green pepper, spices & some tomato paste, & pour over rice for Pork Over Rice.
-thicken broth & pour over buttered bread for a quick, cheap, extremely easy meal.
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2019   #3
Rajun Gardener
Tomatovillian™

You can simmer them to make a pork broth for soup or ramen.

ME, I'm gonna dry brine them for a day and smoke it to use in beans. greens, soup, stews. Same way you would use ham or bacon.

All the stores here sell them either smoked or raw, you can make a stew out of it. Treat it like short ribs to make a good gravy color then add broth and braise them till fall off the bone tender. Add potatoes, garlic, onions and any other veggie you like in stews.

There's not much meat on them but that meat close to the bone has so much flavor. Add more pork or smoked sausage if they don't have enough meat.
Old December 6, 2019   #4
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

My mother would likely have made a sauerkraut soup with them. A dish she made in winter.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2019   #5
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

They have already given you everything I've done with the pork neck bones. I'll add this caveat. Soups and beans without smoking the bones are good, too. I'm now curious whether or not the bones would make good bone broth...
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6, 2019   #6
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

You can make them into the best tomato meat sauce ever. Brown the bones, remove, and then add chopped onion and garlic , cook until transparent. Add tomato, bones and a little paste. Cook slowly for a few hours. Meat will fall off bone. Finger licking goodness. Use it as a pasta sauce. If you want you can also clean bones completely and put meat back. But serving a bowl of these tasty morsels is very special

Old chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #7
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I have never seen pork neck bones. A search https://www.google.com/search?source...=1575696760182
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #8
imp
Tomatovillian™

All the above will more than do well for you. I also make "Sunday sauce" with the pork or pork bones and also add in a beef rib or three, makes the best very flavorful red sauce, though it is simmered for days. I'll usually start a Sunday sauce on a Wednesday or Thursday in a slow cooker ( so it simmers and does not scorch if I get busy) and cool it a couple times overnight, then heat it again, until the meat is an integral part of the sauce and the bones are clean.

Pork neck bones are also good with various greens and especially with onions and cabbage, slow simmered, both smoked ones and regular ones. There is a Polish ( I think it is Polish?) recipe with pork, cabbage, onions/ garlic, stewed slowly together and egg noodles added the last 1 minutes or so. Pork neck bones simmered awhile with aromatics of your choice and rice is tasty, too; you can add red peppers, carrots or ? for additional flavor and nutrition as well as color.

I've also simmered the smoked neck bones in some liquid, added rough chopped cabbage and onions, then after a bit when the cabbage and onion give up their liquids, add rice. Makes a sticky ish dish, but good as is, in lettuce wraps pr even rolled into a burrito and hallow fried with or without enchilada sauce ( verde).
Old December 7, 2019   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Giraffe neck bones anybody???
How about snake neck bones?

Oh pork neck bones.
I'm sure they will go up in price like ox tails, shanks and beef tongue has.

Commonly used in a slow simmer till nothing is left on the bone.
Or some folks just slow cook them and pick whatever little meat there is left on them.
My land lady and friends had neck bones at least once a week.
There always seemed to be a kettle of pork neck bones cooking somewhere in my old neighborhood.
Smoked or not smoked.
The smoked ones go well with beans for flavoring.
Cook bones first then add the beans to cook.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #10
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Lots of choices including above.

I always roast any/all bones... tossed with quartered onion, whole cut-in-half garlic
head, or three, misc crisper drawer veg like a parsnip, carrot. Tossed, rubbed in olive oil.
Roasted on a sheet pan, an hour is fine. Then simmered to make a broth/stock. 3-5
hours. Not too much water...just to barely cover. Lots of meat on those bones usually.
Southern pork neck gravy and beans. Or a nice addition to spaghetti sauce.

A Korean style broth is often simmered briefly to clarify. They call it 'cleaning of impurities' but
it isn't funky. Meant to 'clean' for a clear broth. Then roasted, then simmered for broth.
I just go straight to roasting not concerned about clarity. I suppose if a clear broth for soup is
what you want, that will do it.

I hope I'm safe from price gouging. The elder ladies in my small Italian market will have none of
that, (fingers crossed.) Bones from butchering should be cheap. That layer of added flavor is
time consuming but so worth it.

Aromatics added to the simmering broth is up to you. Bay leaves, peppercorns, whole coriander,
cumin seed. etc. Some big chunks of ginger roasted with the bones and simmered in the broth
is excellent for a brothy rice noodle or dumpling(pot sticker) soup...but weird in some veggie bean
soups, ....so I carefully label my broth/stocks for the freezer.

Stock up when you see any bones at a good price, especially the meaty ones. Freeze them. A
lousy winter weather day they can go straight from the freezer to the roasting tray for a back
burner stock without much effort.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

They had smoked pork necks at the store for just under 2 dollars a pound.
Didn't see any fresh pork necks but I went way early.
I find the price way too much for my tastes, 'but they were smoked, that accounts for something.
Not everyone can nor wants to smoke meats.
They did have fresh pig ears of which I used to buy for my two dogs.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7, 2019   #12
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Wow we have lots of great ideas. I knew that this was the place to come to learn what I should do with these little gems. I wish I lived in Texas and had Worth's prices. This pack was $2.50 per pound and the only pack in the store. In fact the only pack that I have seen anywhere.
I roasted these meaty ones in a high heat oven for 60 minutes. They were beautifully browned. They are now simmering with some onion and garlic. They smell so good that I could eat them now. I will simmer them again tomorrow and add some tomato paste or sauce, perhaps some beef or veggie broth. This does sound good over pasta. I might throw some on some eggplant too.
Thanks all for your wealth of knowledge and advice.
Old December 7, 2019   #13
Old chef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
All the above will more than do well for you. I also make "Sunday sauce" with the pork or pork bones and also add in a beef rib or three, makes the best very flavorful red sauce, though it is simmered for days. I'll usually start a Sunday sauce on a Wednesday or Thursday in a slow cooker ( so it simmers and does not scorch if I get busy) and cool it a couple times overnight, then heat it again, until the meat is an integral part of the sauce and the bones are clean.

Pork neck bones are also good with various greens and especially with onions and cabbage, slow simmered, both smoked ones and regular ones. There is a Polish ( I think it is Polish?) recipe with pork, cabbage, onions/ garlic, stewed slowly together and egg noodles added the last 1 minutes or so. Pork neck bones simmered awhile with aromatics of your choice and rice is tasty, too; you can add red peppers, carrots or ? for additional flavor and nutrition as well as color.

I've also simmered the smoked neck bones in some liquid, added rough chopped cabbage and onions, then after a bit when the cabbage and onion give up their liquids, add rice. Makes a sticky ish dish, but good as is, in lettuce wraps pr even rolled into a burrito and hallow fried with or without enchilada sauce ( verde).

Next time I'm in Wichata Falls, would you mind if I come over for lunch ?

Old Chef
Old chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8, 2019   #14
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old chef View Post
Next time I'm in Wichata Falls, would you mind if I come over for lunch ?

Old Chef

LOL, and thank you for the compliment, and you'd be welcome.
Old December 8, 2019   #15
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

One caveat on pork neck bones. I have found that when they're simmered until they fall apart, I can't just quickly separate out the meat. Sometimes there are tiny pieces of bone hiding in it so I've had to be pretty careful checking as I almost cracked a tooth on a little piece one day. Has anyone else encountered this?
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote