Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old August 5, 2010   #1
Impatient
Tomatovillian™

Default Life after fusarium wilt

I just figured out that the problem that is plauging my lovely little tomato patch is fusarium wilt. Losing about half of my plants in a raised bed that is only one season old and has been very organic until I started with daconil when I thought I had early blight.

If I use fusarium resistant plants can I reuse that part of the garden next year? The other half of my plants seem to be OK so far. Are there fusarium resistant OPs?

RIP: mortgage lifter, german red strawberry, kelloggs breakfast, chapman, brandywine sudduth, cherokee purple.

On the fence: black from tula

Still chugging along: hillbilly, black cherry, sun gold, winsall, bloody butcher, heidi and a nice selection of volunteers that I will not be weeding out over by where the compost pile used to be. Serendipity!
Impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Yes you can plant and grow successfully in beds infected with fusarium. It can be very frustrating at times but I have been planting in fusarium infected beds for over 25 years and was told by an extension agent that I would not be successful with tomatoes but might have some luck with very resistant hybrids. This year I picked well over 1000 tomatoes off of herlooms so far this season. I lost over 1/3 of my plants to fusarium before ripe fruit stage; 1/3 produced very few before dying and 1/3 did very well. I planted 78 different varieties to see which would do well in my garden.
The trick is to plant varieties that have some good tolerance so that despite the fusarium they will still produce and grow for an extended time. In my experience some varieties have much better tolerance than others. One hybrid that has shown great tolerance year in and year out is Big Beef. If I had to pick just a few heirlooms to grow where fusarium is a problem I would pick: Neves Azorean Red, Old Virginia, Indian Stripe, Kosovo, Linnies Oxheart, BTD Pink, JD's Special C Tex and Gary O' Sena.
You will get a lot of advice about various soil treatments and root stimulants but so far I have not had much luck with them; but I continue to try them. They might be more successful where the fusarium is not so virulent as it is in my garden. I am still finding the best results with the more tolerant varieties whether treated or not.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #3
Impatient
Tomatovillian™

Thank you so much. Your list of more successful OP's contains many I had been wanting to try, so that is great news for me.

Have you tried Actinovate? I cheaped out and did not buy it earlier this year, but now it sounds like it might offer some relief.
Impatient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5, 2010   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impatient View Post
Have you tried Actinovate? it sounds like it might offer some relief.
I tried it last year, didn't help. This year I tried BioVam which has Trichoderma, seems to have done the trick as all plants treated are still flourishing, and producing.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote