Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 17, 2011   #1
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default Pepperdew homemade brine

My 2 plants are going crazy now they love the cold nights i guess. Still green fruit with 30 days before frost here. How can i make some brine for then.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2011   #2
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

I followed someone else's recipe when I did this: pretty sure I just copied and pasted and failed to document her name - UGH - but this worked well (brine recipe is in this - thought I would include the whole recipe in case you are interested)

When i do this again, I'll slice the peppers into rings prior to canning

Peppadew Pickled Peppers

Cut off stem and deseed unless you want burning hot peppers. It's best to use surgical gloves, as the peppers can make your fingers burn. Cut off the stem end and scrape out the seeds with a small teaspoon. Try to remove all the seeds. Dissolve about 4 T sea salt in just over 2 c water.

Leave overnight in a brine consisting of 2 oz kosher/coarse salt and about 2 1/3 c water). Drop peppers into brine after deseeding, and leave them in for a few hours or overnight. (Increase brine mixture according to volume of peppers!) Put a plate or other weight on top if necessary, to stop them from bobbing on top.

Before continuing, be sure your jars, caps and rings are very clean and sterilized in boiling water. Leave in the hot water until ready to fill the jars.

Syrup ingredients:

1-1/2 cups good vinegar, grape or wine or malt (5% acetic acid)

1-1/4 cup sugar

1 cup water

a few pieces sliced fresh ginger

some fresh garlic cloves

2 tablespoons crushed peppercorns (the mixed peppercorns are nice)

some bay or lemon leaves

a little sea salt

2 whole green chili peppers, reserved, optional extra small whole green chili peppers for garnish

Combine the syrup ingredients in a non-reactive pot that is large enough to hold the peppers. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Then bring to a rolling boil. Take care, as the mixture does foam up a bit.

In the meantime, rinse the brined peppers. Place in a colander or sieve and shake to remove as much moisture as possible. Add the peppers along with the green chili peppers to the boiling syrup. Boil for a minute or two. Use a slotted spoon to fill the jars with the peppers. Push them in; you want to fill the bottles nicely! Then pour over the boiling hot mixture. Use a small rubber spatula along with gentle tapping and rotation of the jars in to fill the pepper hollows with the syrup. You can add a green chili to each jar for decorative purposes if you like. Final filling should be to 1/2-inch of the top.

Wipe the rims of the jars. Cap the jars and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet, 15 minutes from altitudes of 1000 to 6000 feet, and 20 minutes above 6000 feet. Leave for about 2 - 3 weeks before use.

This recipe fills about 1 1/2 cups. Don't work with huge quantities -- rather make in smaller batches, it's easier and safer. * I use white grape vinegar because it's pure white. I dislike the cheaper spirit vinegar. Use whatever is available to you. Cider vinegar is also fine, except that it's slightly colored
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote