Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 6, 2018   #256
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I love my little pump Solo sprayer - great for the small jobs and with seedlings.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XV2OQU...a-308678430371
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2018   #257
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I need some good recipes for my Vitamix. I tried making soup in it, but it was odd, although the soup was hot the vegies in it tasted raw. Everyone who has a Vitamix seems to love it and I would love to start using mine.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #258
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post
I love my little pump Solo sprayer - great for the small jobs and with seedlings.

I have several small sprayers. I love them. not all are solo but the size is perfect.
Old June 7, 2018   #259
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

My Fluke tone generator and probe.
This thing is indispensable in my line of work.
I know most of you here have no use for one but I have to trace out a lot of unknown wires.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #260
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
I need some good recipes for my Vitamix. I tried making soup in it, but it was odd, although the soup was hot the vegies in it tasted raw. Everyone who has a Vitamix seems to love it and I would love to start using mine.

Have you tried the recipes in the book or the online book? Lots of those are really good. Some veggies do need to be cooked, aka left overs such as potatoes.

I make a broccoli soup using the florets with a seasoned chicken broth and it is so good, just those 2 things and it's yummy if you like broccoli, sometimes I grind a carrot up first with a small amount of the broth, then add the broccoli and the rest of the stock.

Also, I like a canned bean soup made in the vitamixer, along with other veg, makes a lovely creamy soup without dairy in it. Roasted carrot soup is tasty, has a touch of ginger in it and can be changed up several ways as well. I even use mine to mix up the masa for the tamales.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/find-recipes

Last edited by imp; June 7, 2018 at 10:42 PM. Reason: add link
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2018   #261
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueCT View Post
SueCT the Tortilla Soup receipe that they give you makes a really nice meal. You can switch it up however you like and it is easy. https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Rec...Soup&sc=recipe
Old June 8, 2018   #262
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I guess after I tried a soup and an ice cream and wasn't happy with either one, I gave up. Maybe I would like soups better if I used left over cooked veggies instead of raw ones. I will look at the Tortilla Soup, thanks for a specific recipe recommendation. Have you ever left out the cabbage? Not something I eat often. I like it, it just doesn't agree with me.

I will look at some of the recipes from the book and the ones Imp linked to as well. So many people love it that I just can't believe I wouldn't like it if I learned how to use it better.

Last edited by SueCT; June 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM.
Old June 9, 2018   #263
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I found a frozen yogurt recipe! I will try this, but will substitute strawberry yogurt for a stronger strawberry flavor and see how it is.

https://www.vitamix.com/us/en_us/Rec..._st=&sc=recipe

I am concerned about using frozen fruit again, though. I am afraid my chest freezer keeps things frozen too hard for the Vitamix. If I burn out the motor I wonder if they will replace it?
Old June 9, 2018   #264
imp
Tomatovillian™

The fruit I use, when frozen, is in pieces, or not bigger than a regular ice cube size more or less. And unless you are abusing it, I'm not sure how you would burn out the motor; the vitamix is the same machine used in many commercial places.

You can also call vita mix - number can be found at the link given you. Nice folks and they can help a lot.

About the only thing I haven't liked making in the vitamix so far was hollendaise sauce.
Old June 9, 2018   #265
imp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinAtlanta View Post

It's a good sprayer, I have one and it works fine.
Old June 9, 2018   #266
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Sue, I never use the cabbage......

The Vitamix is a very durable product and is fully guarenteed. The little motor in there is as strong an a lawnmower. Frozen products will not faze this little machine. Do not be afraid of putting this machine through it's paces. It can even grind bones if you like.

Last edited by MissS; June 9, 2018 at 10:10 AM.
MissS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2018   #267
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the encouragement, I will try again!
Old July 2, 2018   #268
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Hi everyone, I have a couple of items I wanted to add to the growing list of favorite things I have. There are two I want to post today with the first being a new step ladder I ordered from Little Giant. This isn't your normal step ladder, this is designed as true stairs with 8.5 or 9" steps to step onto. I can't step on a regular step ladder, those rungs kill my feet and I am very unstable on them. So, my feet problems also cause other issues for me with regular step ladders. This one, I stepped right up and had no issues standing on it. What I like about it also is the handy brace it has on it to hold onto if you feel unsteady. It also is set up so that I can put it against the cabinets and reach into the top cupboards, wash the top of the refrigerator, etc. Things I have had to ask my husband to do and I like to be independent, not depend so much on him. I will be able to reach the 14 foot A frame ceilings with the vacuum hose as well. I am excited to be able to do things I used to do now. This ladder holds 375 lbs, wow!

https://www.qvc.com/Little-Giant-Lig...000-000&TZ=EST

Another thing I was hoping this would work for is the problem I have standing for even just a couple of minutes, which has caused me to change my cooking and not be as healthy as I would like to be. Standing and cutting veggies has been out for a couple of years now since my feet problems got so bad I couldn't walk. Anyway, you all remember that little kitchen island my hubby built for me? Well, I can put this new step ladder in front of it, sit on the top step and have my feet sitting flat on the bottom step, comfortably right in front of the little island. Woot Woot!

Now for the other item I would like to mention, and it has everything to do with my feet again. Due to the damage from the different arthritis I have in my joints, and my foot pain, it makes walking for too long difficult. I have found a machine called the Legxersize, and it is motorized. I sit in my tall camping chair and put my feet on it and let it move my feet back and forth for me. I have had it only two days, used it three times each day, and already have less pins and needles in my feet. The swelling seems to be getting better as well, only time will tell on that. But the other part is that I can feel my muscles in my rear end, my thighs, and my calves slowly being worked while I sit and read or watch the tv. It does of course work the hips, and knees as well with some pain after about 10 minutes, so I just stop and wait until later to do more. I can also feel my core being engaged as well. I like this machine and will surely continue using it. this isn't for people who are healthy, and have no problems getting outside and walking. This was designed for people who need the blood flow in their legs but can't get out to make that happen. In other words, if you want to just keep yourself moving after you have come inside from a long day and want to relax, this is for you, but it isn't going to burn a lot of calories or anything like that. It is a gentle movement.

https://www.qvc.com/LegXercise-Motor...7.html?sc=SRCH

Update: I had to come in and elaborate on the hip and knee pain I mentioned above. Both of my hips are degenerating and the pain is just because of hip movement, I can't get away from it. Anyway, I need to elaborate because by sitting in the camp chair I am using I find I am upright and taller than when sitting in my regular chair like they show on the video of the product. That is the wrong angle in my opinion and I found the machine would move, not stay in place as I was using it. But by sitting in my tall camp chair I am not having those issues, and I am comfortable for about 1 hour at a time now. It makes it nice to know I can sit there and just keep working my legs. I do have problems with the legs on the machine staying opened like alot of people are reporting so I just use it flat on the floor. Honestly, that would be the only complaint I have on the machine.

Here is the type of camp chair I am using. It is tall enough that my feet almost touch the floor if I sit back in it, but if I sit forward in it my feet can be flat on the floor.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stylish-C...&wl13=&veh=sem

~Margaret Atwood~

Last edited by Rockporter; July 2, 2018 at 11:17 PM.
Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2018   #269
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Here is another product I wanted to update on. Remember the Gecho Toes Water Hose Rack someone was asking about somewhere? It's on a thread, but I can't find it. I bought three of them way back when, my husband put one below the other on the fence behind the gate area and has his 100' garden hose on it with great success. Mine we put on a corner in my garden and I love how I can just grab it and walk toward the center of my garden to bring the hose out. It's awesome.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2018   #270
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I own a ridged drill worst drill ever, went through 3 sets of batteries their so called life time warranty sucks big time.
Next, I should have bought a Makita to begin with I knew better but didn't do it.
Well some time ago I went ahead and bought the Makita drill and driver set.

The 4 amp hour brushless one.
Expensive but you get what you pay for.
Comes in a box not a stupid bag.

I have a long over 30 year history with this brand and I have never had a problem with them.

People on the job look at it with envy, got to keep my eye on it at all times.

The other one is retired to the house.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote