Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old July 14, 2011   #16
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

All my multi-planted clumps are doing reasonably well. For some of them, it's too early to really tell how big they'll get. I pulled cipollinis that were full size and the Topea Lungea is bigger than I've ever had before - both these were grown in clumps of 3-5. My storage onions were planted in a new plot that has sub-par soil and they don't seem to be doing quite as well - we'll see how they look in a month. However, I have couple general observations on multi-planting based on the season to-date:

>> I lost several onions from most clumps after transplanting. Some varieties tolerated the process better than others - most of the Copra clumps still have 5 plants going whereas others, Australian Brown and Clear Dawn for example, are down to 2 or 3 at the most. Seed starting and transplanting for all varieties was identical so this might indicate that some types tolerate this growing style better than others.

>> Based on my good soil vs. not-so-good soil observations, I wonder if multi-planting is better suited to rich soil. It would make sense, wouldn't it?
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #17
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

so for those that plant their onions in clusters, kath specifically, i have some questions.

i plant onions (copra and red wing) in a bed 5' X 12' 6" on center. would i get more onions if i planted in clusters or do you lose space due to the size of the cluster thereby getting the same number of onions from a given area whether using the cluster or the regular methos?

kath it sounds like the onions are a little smaller so if you get more onions from a given area is the total weight the same or less from a given area using the cluster vs regular method?

i can't see how this works since onions don't like to be crowded. when i planted 4" on center i had a lot more onions from a given area but they were a lot smaller. going to 6" on center definitely produces larger onions. now i do not want onions the size of a bowling ball or a softball but i don't want onions the size of a golf ball which is what 4" on center was yielding.

i'm all for saving space this is why i plant onions and garlic in beds 6" on center. if clustering the onions gives more total yield (weight) in the same space as regular this may be worth trying but i'm leery of trying this as i rely on an onion harvest of 60-70 pounds to get me thru to the following harvest.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
And he’s gotta be fresh from the fight
I need a hero
I’m holding out for a hero ‘til the morning light
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
And he’s gotta be larger than life
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2011   #18
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopper View Post
Tig if you need my backhoe holler with the price of gas I'll UPS it to YA ! YOPPER
yopper,

your backhoe is gas not diesel?

i was sure it was diesel, don't you need all that torque a diesel has for those monster UP onions?

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old July 15, 2011   #19
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjg911 View Post
i plant onions (copra and red wing) in a bed 5' X 12' 6" on center. would i get more onions if i planted in clusters or do you lose space due to the size of the cluster thereby getting the same number of onions from a given area whether using the cluster or the regular methos?

kath it sounds like the onions are a little smaller so if you get more onions from a given area is the total weight the same or less from a given area using the cluster vs regular method?

tom
Tom, my onion trial is on a very small scale since I'm growing 6 varieties in a limited space and we don't grow very many onions. I only planted one "clump" for each of those varieties just to see how they would do compared to the ones that were planted singly. The clumps are on 12" centers and the singles on 6" centers in all directions. If I had planted in raised beds this year, I'd have started the planting 3" from the edge for single onions and 6" for the clumps; in so doing, the number of onions would be the same for each bed- 36 onions for a 3'x3' bed for example, if my calculations are correct. The spacing I chose was just random- I don't remember seeing any recommendations for that in the original post. Anyway, since the clump onions seem smaller at this point, my spacing wouldn't yield a greater weight.

If someone was able to make up for the smaller size by planting closer, I hope they'll post results. All the varieties, Copra and Red Wing included, produced larger onions for me when planted singly. They are all in the same area of the garden and received the same amount of water, fertilizer, etc.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2011   #20
fortyonenorth
Tomatovillian™

6" spacing would mean 4 onions per sq. ft. A clump of 4 onions spaced 12" OC would be the same number of plants. In theory, the yields should be equal - providing the size/weight is comparable. The main benefit is the time savings in transplanting, cultivating and harvest.

I was looking at the Dixondale website and they suggest that in-row spacing can be fairly tight as long as the row-to-row spacing is ample - the roots will forage for the available nutrients. I think the same would apply to the multi-planting. As long as the overall spacing is ample (e.g. 12" OC) the onions won't be "crowded."
fortyonenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011   #21
yopper
Tomatovillian™

Tig The backhoe is gas I can't stand the smell of deisel Not as cheap as the willow brush your moose runs on ! You and I have had this spacing discusion a few years back but planting 3 or 4 in the same hole was not brought up then ? I like big sweet onions the bigger the better! I grow mine in wide rows of 4 on 10" centers. I'm not cramped for space. YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2011   #22
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by yopper View Post
Tig The backhoe is gas I can't stand the smell of deisel Not as cheap as the willow brush your moose runs on ! You and I have had this spacing discusion a few years back but planting 3 or 4 in the same hole was not brought up then ? I like big sweet onions the bigger the better! I grow mine in wide rows of 4 on 10" centers. I'm not cramped for space. YOPPER
i agree with you on the smell of diesel exhaust it really is disgusting. but diesels produce more torque and fer those monster onions you grow up in the UP i'd have thought your backhoe was a diesel. oh well, a gas job should be able to dig out, it'll just work a little harder! you probably load those onions with this loader and for transport use this articulated hauler! now that's onion farming!

no this 3 or 4 plants in the same spot is fairly new to me too. not sure it sounds like a good idea for me and for you not at all as you like huge onions. but if you do try this method yopper you could sell the backhoe because it doesn't sound like they get as big being so close.

tom
And he’s gotta be fast
I need a hero
He’s gotta be sure
And it’s gotta be soon
Old July 18, 2011   #23
davespitzer
Tomatovillian™

Red torpedoes planted as transplants last fall mostly bolted, got about 10% usable bulbs and saved seed from 9 plants for next year, hoping that will be enough as I've read about suppression from too-small gene pools. Yellow Spanish types are doing well, will harvest in the next month. Multipliers planted as seed stock are doing well. Garlic and spring planted shallots did very well, lots of gray, yellow, and F1 Ambition. Managed to save most of the fall planted Ambition, which bolted but produced usable secondary bulbs after the scapes were removed. We have a local red called (by locals) Italian red, very prolific and mild flavored, and I have seed for that one for next spring. All in all, a good year for a rookie I think. Had fun and learned a lot! Dave
davespitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2011   #24
yopper
Tomatovillian™

TIG I may need that backhoe after all we got two good rains and the oions jumped like I do when I hit the electric fence. [GOOD GARDENING TO YA] YOPPER
yopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2011   #25
svalli
Tomatovillian™

Last year onions in my vegetable plot did quite poorly, because weeds grew over them. This year I planted them to a new location there and they are growing nicely. I also planted shallots and leeks into my flowerbed here in the city. Scallions are in big containers with some flowers and Jerusalem artichokes.