Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 9, 2013   #31
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
For those of you who have listed varieties in this thread, are there any that you would describe as being more dry and/or having a "nutty" taste? Thanks!
Personally, I too prefer dry squash with rich flavor, as opposed to very sweet squash. The flavor of a squash is only partially determined by its variety. The degree of ripeness when harvested, and how soon it is eaten after harvest, are also factors.

I like squash best when it is fully ripe, and eaten fresh from the vine. At that stage, the cooked texture of many squashes is dry & starchy (like potato) and the sweetness is less pronounced. It has been my observation that the conversion of starch to sugar begins after separation from the vine (or when the vine dies) and the sweetness intensifies as the storage period lengthens. The squash also becomes more watery as it sweetens.

Acorn squash is good when fresh picked, and it bridges the gap between summer squash & the later winter squashes. I like kabocha squash because it stays dry & firm longer than the butternuts. Buttercup is very similar, as is Queensland Blue... but the kabochas are smoother & without the pronounced button, which makes them easier to prepare.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote