Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old July 20, 2009   #1
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Default question for small seed producers

Hello all,

I am looking at setting up a table at the local farmer's market this fall, they also have handmade items, jewelry etc, and I have variously made shopping bags, jewelry, some cards, etc. and would also like to sell flowers maybe next year. I was also thinking about seeds and seedlings, as herbs and veg starts are sold there too. . . .

Does anyone here sell their own seeds or seedlings? How does one legally do this? From what I can tell, the US federal requirements for seed selling is to do germination tests on a lot of 200 seeds (for some things, this is a large # of the seeds I have!).

Ive gotten some neat varieties just trading seeds, and I guess Id be able to include them as freebies with purchases....I just dont want any legal trouble.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2009   #2
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

If you are just selling at the farmer's market and are not making an actual legal business set up as a seed seller that will be paying taxes and monitored by the powers that be, I wouldn't worry about it. I don't think the feds are cruising the farmer's markets unless they like fresh produce. Of course do smaller test batches of your seeds to make sure that the seeds are germinating properly.
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #3
Blueaussi
Tomatovillian™

At Historic Camden's fall and spring Market Day we sell seeds at the plant booth. No germination tests, just seed that's been donated to us. The plant booth ladies were doing it long before I ever started working with them, from sometime in the mid 80's, I think.

No one has ever said a word to us. Of course, since any powers that be would have to chastise the very distinguished and genteel Southern Lady Gardeners who ran the booth, and that would have been so...well, gauche; the powers-that-be might have politely looked the other way.
Blueaussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2009   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

There's much more information about this topic in the Growing for Market Forum here, in various threads.

Rules and regulations for selling this and that vary by city, county and state, as you'll see in those threads.
Old July 22, 2009   #5
garnetmoth
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the input and pointers all!

when you sign up for the market, they have you sign a paper that says you are abiding by all regulations and have your license- i was going to go ahead and get my transient vendor license from the State, its just $25 and it would give me piece of mind.
garnetmoth is offline   Reply With Quote