Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old December 2, 2015   #16
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

That's the best deal I've ever seen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillian View Post
I have this one http://www.amazon.com/8lamps-DL8208-...olux+t5+grow+l, and I LOVE it. It also comes in a 4 ft. fixture, the 2 ft. more than serves my purposes. Amazing light at a great price!

Jillian
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #17
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
That's the best deal I've ever seen!
Salsacharley, I did a LOT of shopping before I purchased this light. It is INCREDIBLE. I am going to post a review on Amazon along with some pics whenever I can find the time
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #18
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Hey Worth, if your doing a few plants T5's work good, if your going for a big crop HPS is the only way to go, and trust me, I have a lot invested in my lights. Look at the lumen output comparisons, as well as the color spectrum, I always use the red now, peppers grow much better under those, tomatoes love it too.
Here in about 43 days I will have 8 HPS lights burning, from 400-1000 watts, it is going to be epic this year.
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #19
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Once fluorescent tubes are several years old, the light output drops off (but the energy they use stays the same). So if you have old tubes, it might be worth trying new ones.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpi...aintenance.asp

Remember to handle your old tubes carefully and turn them in at a collection facility as the hazardous waste that they are!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2, 2015   #20
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilaGardener View Post
Once fluorescent tubes are several years old, the light output drops off (but the energy they use stays the same). So if you have old tubes, it might be worth trying new ones.

http://www.lrc.rpi.edu/programs/nlpi...aintenance.asp

Remember to handle your old tubes carefully and turn them in at a collection facility as the hazardous waste that they are!
What I did before I stopped sewing seeds for awhile was use the seedling lights to replace the lights in my kitchen and buy new lights for the seedlings every year.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #21
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

For many years, I used a two-bulb "shop light" with some combination of T12 bulbs. Worked fine for seed starting, but last year, I replaced the old fixture with two narrow shop lights using 4 (total) T12 bulbs. The difference in growth is noticeable, but not dramatic. I had considered CFL, but this still was a "DIY" project when it came to fixtures, so I took the easier path. I do use single-bulb, 100 watt equivalent CFL's to provide some extra light for a "Benjamin" -- our 40-year old Ficus tree and a few of my wife's larger cactus. I am curious about the newer LED plant bulbs, but think I'll wait a bit before venturing into the LED's.
-GG

Last edited by Greatgardens; December 3, 2015 at 07:33 AM.
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #22
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I was at a hydroponic store yesterday buying some Happy Frog potting soil and I saw a stack of boxes of LED light systems on the display floor. I asked the owner about them and he showed me one in actual use in their grow room. He said the LED's did "OK" for growth and this one had a 3 year warranty. Then he said "I GET CUSTOMERS WHO BUY THESE AND SWEAR BY THEM THE FIRST COUPLE OF WEEKS, AND THEN THEY WANT TO GET RID OF THEM IN 6 MONTHS." How's that for a hard sell? He also said that the LED technology is advancing so fast that whatever you buy today will be obsolete very soon, and better and cheaper LED systems will be available in a couple of years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatgardens View Post
For many years, I used a two-bulb "shop light" with some combination of T12 bulbs. Worked fine for seed starting, but last year, I replaced the old fixture with two narrow shop lights using 4 (total) T12 bulbs. The difference in growth is noticeable, but not dramatic. I had considered CFL, but this still was a "DIY" project when it came to fixtures, so I took the easier path. I do use single-bulb, 100 watt equivalent CFL's to provide some extra light for a "Benjamin" -- our 40-year old Ficus tree and a few of my wife's larger cactus. I am curious about the newer LED plant bulbs, but think I'll wait a bit before venturing into the LED's.
-GG
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #23
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Currently to my thinking LED's present a lot of workarounds, if you don't have heat issues HPS is an easier path.

Interested to know how many customers applied the credit towards HPS/HID, or just gave up altogether.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2015   #24
pecker88
Tomatovillian™

since the thread is about seedlings; my preference is T5 floro's. I got a 2 ft. 4 bulb fixture + 65K bulbs on Amazon for $60 shipped. The T5 fixtures do generate heat, contrary to what you'd think from florescent lights, but not nearly as much as HID (HPS or MH) bulbs.

After the seedlings are 30 days old they either go outside or under HID lights for production.

I've tried seedlings under HID lights and they didnt' do as well. Mostly because they were mixed in with other mature plants so the HID lights had to be several feet above the seedlings, which I think caused them to be leggy.
pecker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #25
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

My hydro store does not sell LED because of the superiority of HPS. I doubt most of their customers are growing tomatoes as their primary indoor crop though.

I'm not looking to feed the neighborhood, just an occasional salad tomato or taste a strawberry homegrown in winter would be heaven. The cost of electricity is a concern with HPS for me.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #26
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

If HPS is such a concern then why not give CFL a proper go..? I have three 120W bulbs that I use for my seedlings and they work quite well.
Zenbaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4, 2015   #27
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
If HPS is such a concern then why not give CFL a proper go..? I have three 120W bulbs that I use for my seedlings and they work quite well.
That is what I want to know.
The CFL bulbs, are the seedlings leggy?
I will (((NOT))) stand for leggy seedlings.

I can take old school ceramic fixtures and mount several on two boards in line and side by side if I have to and grow under them.
The last time I bought a regular florescent light fixture from HD the ballast didn't last a year.
With the CFL lights I dont have to worry about this the bulb goes out I change it.

So do you think 8 of these 120 CFL lights 4 side by side about a foot apart will work?

Worth
Old December 4, 2015   #28
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
That is what I want to know.
The CFL bulbs, are the seedlings leggy?
I will (((NOT))) stand for leggy seedlings.

I can take old school ceramic fixtures and mount several on two boards in line and side by side if I have to and grow under them.
The last time I bought a regular florescent light fixture from HD the ballast didn't last a year.
With the CFL lights I dont have to worry about this the bulb goes out I change it.

So do you think 8 of these 120 CFL lights 4 side by side about a foot apart will work?

Worth
Worth they don't look leggy to me..? That said the only way you would know for sure is to do it yourself. I have however seen many growers posting on YouTube using similar setups with good results. There are more pictures of seedlings growing under my lights in my hydroponic growing thread.
uploadfromtaptalk1449259466676.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1449259487383.jpg
Old December 4, 2015   #29
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenbaas View Post
Worth they don't look leggy to me..? That said the only way you would know for sure is to do it yourself. I have however seen many growers posting on YouTube using similar setups with good results. There are more pictures of seedlings growing under my lights in my hydroponic growing thread.
Attachment 54803

Attachment 54804
Nope those look fine.
How far off the tops did/do you keep them.
Worth
Old December 4, 2015   #30
Zenbaas
Tomatovillian™

Worth I keep them very close without any heat issues. I would say the tops of the seedlings are no more than 2 inches from the bulb (or even less sometimes). As they grow I adjust the entire light fixture up with a "pulley" system.