Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 21, 2014   #1
crazyoldgooseman
Tomatovillian™

Default Temperature for seedlings? cold treatment?

I'm wondering what temperature people are comfortable with for seedlings. I also may be interested in cold treatment of seedlings and wanted to know what folks do for that. I have a cooler room (far from the pellet stove) around 60 most of the time and want to know if that may work after germination.

Thanks Brian

-crazyoldgooseman
crazyoldgooseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #2
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyoldgooseman View Post
I'm wondering what temperature people are comfortable with for seedlings. I also may be interested in cold treatment of seedlings and wanted to know what folks do for that. I have a cooler room (far from the pellet stove) around 60 most of the time and want to know if that may work after germination.

Thanks Brian
60 would be fine I have grown at this temp many times.

With enough light you will get nice stocky plants.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #3
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

My seedlings are in a cool greenhouse right now that is right around 60. Grew them that way last year and they were some of best plants I've ever had.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #4
Hermitian
BANNED

I like to keep my soil temperature for tomato and pepper seeds in the 70's. Worth1 makes a very good point: once the seeds sprout it is beneficial to have a very good light source. 8+ hours of daylight, unrefracted by windows is ideal. In absence of that, I recommend 50+ Watts per square foot of projected area at 6400 to 6500 Kelvin color temperature; e.g., commodity "daylight" T5HO bulbs you can buy at a big box store -- or a fixture like I've presented here: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...363#post391363
Old February 22, 2014   #5
Ken4230
Tomatovillian™

Default My tomato seedlings get the cold treatment and do really well

I germinate seeds in a large cooler with a few Christmas lights inside. I grow the seedlings in an upstairs unheated room on the north side of the house.
I keep them under lights 16-18 hours per day. I keep the room at 60-62 deg. max. by opening/closing a window.

I get short, fat, darkgreen slow growing plants this way, so i see no need to do anything different. I have used a 25% DE mix for several years and love it.
The tomatoes at 8 wks are usually 8-10 in. tall with 1/4 in. stems. I'm thinking about trying a few in straight DE this year just to see what happens.
No hardening off, they go straight to the garden the last week of April.

I think you will like the cold treatment.
Ken
Ken4230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22, 2014   #6
chalstonsc
Tomatovillian™

Cold treatment is definitely worth the effort....there is a thread here, "giving seedlings the cold treatment", that gives the specifics of the method I have used for years after I first tried it
chalstonsc is offline   Reply With Quote