Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 7, 2014   #1
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Default this might help you

Today I planted my seeds and after a few trial and errors I found that using a craft sticks, pop sickle sticks, works great to plant seeds. just get the end just a little damp and the seed will stick to the stick.yeah that sounds funny. Anyway its the best way I have found to plant individual seeds. And then i use them to label my plants. just sayin..I hope this helps somebody....

I hope this makes sense, its late and I am tired
Old February 7, 2014   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Hmmm, good idea. I just might have a popscicle left in the freezer from last summer, good excuse. Not on my diet, but hey, got to make sacrifises for the planting season!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2014   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I use a tooth pick to do the same thing.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2014   #4
tlintx
Tomatovillian™

Sadly, I used popsicle sticks (I think they were technically "craft sticks") last year to mark plants and within a few months the part touching the dirt had rotted away. Worked well for marking seedlings, though.
tlintx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2014   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlintx View Post
Sadly, I used popsicle sticks (I think they were technically "craft sticks") last year to mark plants and within a few months the part touching the dirt had rotted away. Worked well for marking seedlings, though.

You need to treat them first.

You can make them last a good long time by painting them white.
But by the time you do this it is easyer to just buy the plastic ones.

A few years ago I went to Walmart and was looking for them.'To my dismay they were almost gone.
Then I looked up and saw Suze's husband with a whole pile of them in his cart.

It seems as though he beat me to them.
Not good to have two tomato fanatics in the same area.

Worth
Old February 8, 2014   #6
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Good one Worth! but yeah anything like that would work. I try too keep anything with chemicals away from my veggies, its not an OCD thing or anything but it is just the idea of it..
In the years past I would always used a damp finger but i would always catch a few stragglers.
and as for the rotting thing,, it shouldn't matter, should it? By then they are in the ground and you should know what you have where..not disrespecting, you
tintx. but they last long enough. and if not, relabel, they are cheap enough.. I am a miser when it comes to spending money. I work hard for what i make and do I would rather spend spend the time to save a dime I do appreciate any an all input!late again, signing out! PEACE BROS AND AND SIS'S. gosh darnoodley CAPS LOCKS
Old February 8, 2014   #7
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

I thought tomato seeds were to be let on top of the dirt with a little on top, Only 1/4" deep no more.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #8
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Very inexpensive plant labels

One very inexpensive way to get plant tags that last, is to get the package of plastic notebook dividers. You can cut them and get about 30 to a page. Them make one end into a V shape. It takes me about 5 minutes to get one page done. $3.99 at Walmart for an 8 page package. Another way is to cut up old PVC blinds into strips, but they are thicker and harder to cut. The pre made labels are like 10 for $4 or something. With the cut up dividers, it's 240 for $4.

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
One very inexpensive way to get plant tags that last, is to get the package of plastic notebook dividers. You can cut them and get about 30 to a page. Them make one end into a V shape. It takes me about 5 minutes to get one page done. $3.99 at Walmart for an 8 page package. Another way is to cut up old PVC blinds into strips, but they are thicker and harder to cut. The pre made labels are like 10 for $4 or something. With the cut up dividers, it's 240 for $4.

Marsha
I can see your place now, note books scattered about with the pages ripped out, window blinds with gaping holes in them.

I bet when you go see friends you bring your snippers with you.

Worth
Old February 8, 2014   #10
sfulwood
Tomatovillian™

a pencil works well for tiny seeds, just wet the lead and it will pick 'em right up
sfulwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I can see your place now, note books scattered about with the pages ripped out, window blinds with gaping holes in them.

I bet when you go see friends you bring your snippers with you.

Worth
I'm gonna come visit you, and bring my snippers! Muahahaha!

Marsha
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #12
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Quit peeking in the house Worth.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #13
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I bet that does work well also,
I like that suggestions there Ginger, the sticks work fairly well for labeling, but unless you got a sharpy with a fine tip on it the are kinda hard to mark because the ink bleeds into the wood. I am going to try your idea. Thanks, And yes plant labels are way to expensive..
Old February 8, 2014   #14
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Good to see your post Steve.

jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8, 2014   #15
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Lots of great suggestions here, but it sure is worthwhile to find a good tool for handling tiny seeds.

What I use are a couple of stainless steel probes with centers about the diameter of a slender pencil, tapering to a bent end with a small blunt/rounded tip. The tip is slightly smaller than most tomato seeds.

I find it useful for planting seeds, counting seeds, pushing fermented seeds around on the paper plate so they dry separately -- all sorts of uses that call for something more delicate than primate-paws.

Mine are designed for craft modeling, but I've seen similar tools intended for surgical, construction, or other uses.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote