Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 12, 2013   #1
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Default Kumato Tomato

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?BNJPI 12 April 2013 Kumato Tomato Seedlings
The seeds were obtained from a package of tomatoes purchased in the supermarket. The seeds were treated as one would in saving tomato seeds. Germination was slow, but now they appear to be doing just fine. This is my first introduction to this tomato.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #2
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

There are several old threads here about Kumato and saving seeds. It also goes by the name Russo Bruno.

I've been saving and growing them out mainly for plant sales as people know the name. But personally I think there are better tasting brown varieties to grow. But for a store bought tomato there are better than most of the cardboard things in the winter.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
There are several old threads here about Kumato and saving seeds. It also goes by the name Russo Bruno.

I've been saving and growing them out mainly for plant sales as people know the name. But personally I think there are better tasting brown varieties to grow. But for a store bought tomato there are better than most of the cardboard things in the winter.
Carol
The package that I bought was over-ripe and a bit mushy, so I never had a chance to try them. I will give them a try for this year.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #4
kurt
Tomatovillian™

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=27243 IN the first image at 1/2 oclock are Kumatos that I grow every season from seeds(Canadian)that came from store bought tomatoes here in Fl.This was my 5th year growing them.Now down here they have a Mexican grown tomato package in the stores that are not as good as my original purchase.They are really good producers,4/6, 2-3 inch globes on a branch.I get up to 30-50 globes per 7-10ft. plant.Want to call it a determinate but grows like a cherry.Can be eaten full ripe and even green.Lasts a long time on the kitchen table.Good choice.I know from the last I looked no seeds availiable for purchase and I think by using the name you can get into hassle advertising them for resale.Young seedlings did not like the hardening heat here in FL.But once they take hold they are off and running.Nice real dark foilage,pretty plant.Have fun.

Last edited by kurt; April 12, 2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Spelin
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #5
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

I grew Russo Bruno in 2008. Very Prolific plant. I saved the seeds from Hawaii 2 years before that.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kumato/...in/photostream
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #6
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

most kumato tomatoes i see in the store come in plastic trays. they are bigger than cherries and smaller than beefsteaks. today in the supermarket i saw tomatoes listed as kumato but they were in a bin and sold as single tomatoes. they were mostly in the 12 ounce range.

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_rn=9...w=1037&bih=376

Hey folks it's Rosso Bruno, not Russo Bruno, see above, and when Syngenta introduced Kumato F1's to the US they changed the name to Rosso Bruno F1.

I for one can 't stand the taste of them any more than I could stand the fictitous background that Syngenta gave for them..

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2013   #8
kath
Tomatovillian™

Camochef grew it last season from seeds he saved and had the same reaction as Carolyn- said he yanked the plant out of the garden along with Delicious.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2013   #9
Delerium
Tomatovillian™

Like Carolyn i haven't bothered to grow them afterwords either. So many better tomatoes out there.
Delerium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #10
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I think they are delicious from the store in winter, far superior to anything else in the store. They taste like a real tomato, not the usual cardboard in winter. But I wouldn't compare the taste to the heirlooms from the garden. They do keep forever though, an interesting and useful trait.
Old April 13, 2013   #11
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Sorry Carolyn, I didn't bother to look it up before I posted the wrong spelling for the alt name.

In winter they may have decent taste. Hubby has bought them several times and likes them. But in summer they just don't compare to heirloom brown / black / purple varieties like Cherokee Purple or Carbon.

We has a field day / tasting at my farm 3 years ago. There were at least a dozen varieties on the brown / black /purple table and I especially made sure the Rosso Bruno I grew were there. Even tho I'm not a big tomato eater, I tasted many on that table and the Rosso Bruno were almost tasteless compared to the others there. Very blah.

If you have limited growing area, you can find many better varieties to use your space on.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13, 2013   #12
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

I think I must have peculiar taste buds because I like the Kumato which I have grown. I do find, though that you need to choose the right degree of ripeness. If they get too ripe they are incredibly sweet but with no other flavour and I agree not pleasant. I like them when they are bronze/green. I agree that the plants produce very well, the tomatoes keep well once picked and at the end of the season even the less mature ones will ripen well. Some of the store ones I have bought have not had a lot of flavour.

This season I have had a problem with the Kumato seedlings and another 'black' variety Fioletevyi Kruglyi. The seeds have germinated well but the seed leaves have been very pale, almost yellow. They have eventually turned green but then the true leaves have come through being very pale. The plants are slow growing and the leaves become yellowish, tinted with red at the growing tip and just green on the veins. I have not had this same problem before or with the other 40+ varieties that I am growing this year. We have had a dreadful Spring, very cold and dull. All the plants have bottom heat set at 16 deg Centigrade and the greenhouse thermostat to maintain the air temperature 10 deg C. This has usually increased in the daytime. I have also used additional grow lights. The growing medium is potting mix with perlite and vermiculite added.

I am wondering whether the problem with these seedlings is environmental. Has anyone any ideas, please?

Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2013   #13
dice
Tomatovillian™

Do your leaves look like any of these?
http://5e.plantphys.net/article.php?ch=5&id=289

Even though the symptoms are of deficiency, the actual
problem can be an excess of something else:
http://www.totalgro.com/concepts.htm

In this case, the problem may not be so much an excess or
deficiency as a genetic relative inability to take up a particular
nutrient from the soil. You could take a plant showing the symptoms
and try a foliar feed with something that contains chelated minerals.
Old April 18, 2013   #14
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Tomato Kumato needs salt (NaCl). The interesting:http://www.foodsfromspain.com/icex/c...482451,00.html
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2013   #15
gill_s
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for your replies Dice and Mr. Big 46.

Dice- the problem is as the seedlings are emerging. The seed leaves are very pale and the following real leaves are also very pale. The sowing medium is the same for all my other varieties which, with the exception of Fioletovyi Kruglyi are all fine. It is just those 2 which are emerging very pale. However time has passed and the weather improved and these still small plants are improving and becoming greener. I can only assume that despite trying to help with extra lighting etc these 2 varieties just need that bit more!

Mr Big- when I initially read your reply I thought you were saying that Kumato plants needed salt( NaCl)! Strange I thought! However the article made it all clear. Yes I agree that salt, in moderation, greatly improves the flavour. There is, here, such a great 'health lobby' against using salt but, although I cut down on using it for some things, I still use it on my tomatoes. Thank you for the link to the interesting article.

Gill
gill_s is offline   Reply With Quote