Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old March 7, 2012   #1
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Default Processed Cereal in Compost

Hi All,

I'm brewing a batch of compost in a barrel. I'd say there is about 50 -60 pounds of fruit, vegetable trimmings and peels mixed with leaves and ashes. My Son gave me about 10 pounds of stale breakfast cereal of every variety. How will that work with what I've got brewing? Is processed cereal(some with sugar) at all compostable?
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2012   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Sure, why not. Anything that was once alive can be composted. Cereal qualifies. Sugar is good too, more carbs for the bacteria to feast on.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #3
laspasturas
Tomatovillian™

I would try to add it in thin layers (1" or so) between other things. It probably won't be as much of a problem with small pieces of cereal, but we've found that when we add too much heavily processed food in one area it tends to kind of mummify and not break down as quickly. If you add it in layers with non-processed food in between it breaks down much faster.
laspasturas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #4
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

Great idea, thanks.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2012   #5
Got Worms?
Tomatovillian™

I know this thread is an older one, but I thought I'd throw in my $2 (inflation). The reason that packaged breakfast cereal is not a good idea in compost is the BHT and BHA that is added as a preservative to both the packaging and the cereal itself. I think the shelf life of these products is on the order of 75 yrs. I may be exaggerating by a few months, or even years, but I like my compost to break down before I die.
Charlie
Got Worms? is offline   Reply With Quote