Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old August 25, 2011   #1
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange Minsk...Please make them Stop!

This is my 21st year growing all sorts of tomatoes. NEVER have I harvested as many pounds of fruit per plant than Orange Minsk! It seems like every flower "takes" and the plant keeps producing even with leaf spot and Septoria covering 50% of the plant. Next year only ONE OM plant in my garden...I need a break LOL! taste is fine too...;-)
Old August 25, 2011   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I can help you out on this. Fed ex them to me. My summer season is over, fall toms are in, greenhouse winter toms go in soon. I am out of tomatoes.
Old August 25, 2011   #3
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I love Orange Minsk a lot and thank you Andrey for a great one.

BiG D, I can't remember if it was you or someone else who sent me seeds from a heart shaped OM, all to say that the first fruit bought in to me IS a blunt heart, akin to what Wes would look like. Right now I don't even know if there are any other fruits on that plant and if so if they're hearts as well.

Thankfully Shoe, a friend in NC, is also growing it for seed production for me, so fingers crossed that he too is getting some hearts and some seeds.

I probably will have some OM seed of at least the beefsteak one to list in my next seed offer here but without checking, I think there are quite a few places that are now selling seed. Ja, I sent it to my fave places for trial where I usually send what I think are good ones.
Old August 25, 2011   #4
Hilde
Tomatovillian™

I am growing Orange Minsk this year too. I got a seedling from Remy after I had planted all of mine and really had no more room in the raised beds. She said: "It's a favorite of Carolyn's." And knowing that, I had no choice but to find room for it! Haven't tasted it yet (mine are beefsteaks), but soon! Why don't they have a drool smiley?
Hilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25, 2011   #5
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn yes it was me that sent you the heart shaped OM seed. Blunt heart is an excellent description. And you sent me the true beefstake OM. Greyghost also said she had the beefstake OM and grew a plant for me so I grew one plant from your seed and one from hers and both identical...Nice beefstake BLT sized gorgeous orange fruit! Thanx to both of you! I now will include this OM with KBX and Pork Chop as my yellows/oranges of choice. (Pork Chop the yellow with thin red/pink stiping).

Michael the Fed Ex freight charge on these heavy monsters would break me...:-)
Old August 25, 2011   #6
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, one more tidbit I just thought to mention. I saved seed from 4 or 5 different OM hearts from my two plants last year. Both those heart plants were also very, very productive so I am guessing you will get plenty of fruit from yours...
Old August 25, 2011   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
Carolyn yes it was me that sent you the heart shaped OM seed. Blunt heart is an excellent description. And you sent me the true beefstake OM. Greyghost also said she had the beefstake OM and grew a plant for me so I grew one plant from your seed and one from hers and both identical...Nice beefstake BLT sized gorgeous orange fruit! Thanx to both of you! I now will include this OM with KBX and Pork Chop as my yellows/oranges of choice. (Pork Chop the yellow with thin red/pink stiping).

Michael the Fed Ex freight charge on these heavy monsters would break me...:-)
I thought you were the one but was going to look in my 2011 seed box to confirm it and now I don't have to.

I can't remember, was it just ONE fruit on a plant that was heart shaped or were there more and if so did you save any seeds from any heart ones?

Hmmm, I've got that one fruit on the back table, waiting for it to soften up a bit so maybe I should eat half of it and save seeds from the other half , not enough to ferment but maybe put the icky seeds on something they won't stick to. As I said above I have no idea if there are even any other fruits on that plant.

Thinking, what if Shoe's plants from the heart seed i sent him didn't pan out and he didn't get any seed.

So right now am I the only one with potential seed for this heart OM, other than possibly Shoe?

You know how much I love heart varieties or you wouldn't have sent me those seeds in the first place.

And especially an Orange Minsk heart.
Old August 25, 2011   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigdaddyJ View Post
Carolyn, one more tidbit I just thought to mention. I saved seed from 4 or 5 different OM hearts from my two plants last year. Both those heart plants were also very, very productive so I am guessing you will get plenty of fruit from yours...
Good to know, we were cross posting.

So what did those heart seeds give you this summer.

I'm not getting many fruits from anything, trust me, my tomatoes are super pathetic this year.
Old August 25, 2011   #9
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, I didn't grow the heart OM this year but I am pretty sure I saved some of the heart seeds as I didn't send you all the heart seeds I saved from last year. Just let me know if you do need more...
Old August 25, 2011   #10
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

sounds like a nice tomato. Good to hear positive production reports in this summer's weather.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote