Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 30, 2009   #1
Jackster
Tomatovillian™

Default My sources for tomato seeds

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and looking forward to learning a lot more than what I know about tomatoes. I tried growing about 15 plants last year, 12 of which I started from seeds, and did not do too well. The ones I started from seeds got leggy, and I admit, I may have transplanted them too late, but I'm learning from my mistakes. The most exciting thing (other then I did get a handful of tomatoes) was that I got to encounter a tobacco hornworm caterpillar with parasite cocoons all over its back. It had done a bit of damage, but was not the cause of my poor harvest. (We did have some weather that was a bit unusual last summer here in Connecticut)

This year, I'm trying a few more varieties, and I'll use some fluorescent lights to keep them from getting leggy. I'm also using the Gardens for All book on tomatoes for some advice, as well as reading as much as I can online.

I got my seeds this year from a store similar to Big Lots, - Ocean State Job Lots. They're a chain store, primarily in the Northeast. They have a pretty good sized Burpee display, and the seeds are all discounted 40% off of prices marked.
http://www.osjl.com/

The other place I ordered from was an ebay seller 'seedmart.'

http://stores.ebay.com/Seedmart

They have pretty fast shipping, and a pretty good size selection of all kinds of seeds. Yes, I caved in and got a few carnivorous plant seeds. They have a 10% off code:
SPECIAL OFFER! Get 10% OFF your next Seedmart or Hirt's Garden Internet order by entering the Promotion Code "69101" in our checkout when paying. You can utilize the "SPECIAL OFFER, 10% OFF" for Seedmart, Bulbmart or Hirtsgarden Ebay purchases and website purchases at "www.hirts.com". This offer is valid thru April 2009. This special offer cannot be used for telephone orders. You must use our internet checkout

Anyways, thought I'd introduce myself and hopefully give out some useful information.

Jackster
Jackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #2
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

i am a newbie too. this is the most useful site i have ever read and the members are very helpful;they answer both good and dumb questions,they share their knowledge willingly,and i can only imagine how many years of experience they have collectively.
welcome and enjoy,
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #3
simmran1
Tomatovillian™

Jackster, Welcome to the group. I have also bought from seedmart and they are worthy sellers.
(Also blueribbontomatoes uses Ebay as a web purchasing vehicle. One of the best reads (for me) is by Bill Best: http://www.heirlooms.org/tomato.html
Old January 31, 2009   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jackster,

While you can get inexpensive seed varieties at Big Lots, Walmart, etc, the really great heirloom varieties are best found at Sandhill Preservation, Tomato Growers Supply, Victory Seeds, and others you will find members recommending here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie babe View Post
i am a newbie too. this is the most useful site i have ever read and the members are very helpful;they answer both good and dumb questions,they share their knowledge willingly,and i can only imagine how many years of experience they have collectively.
welcome and enjoy,
neva
veggie babe,

There is no free lunch!! I posted this in another thread but maybe you and Jackster missed it. At Tomatoville, we have a "Freshman Pledge Week" where new members have to spend one day cultivating the gardens of senior Tomatoville members on April 1. We will link you up with these senior members in Texas and CT for your day of volunteer work.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #5
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

HMMMM I was on here last spring and summer. Counts as 2 semesters in school. So I am past that freshman year. Hey I need help with my garden!!!!
Ray be careful or you will have more help that you know what to do with. I would probably help you with your garden if I lived near you. Of course you might notice that tomatoes that were almost ripe were suddenly gotten by a pest
Kat
newatthiskat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #6
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

kat,

I am sorry but anyone with fewer than 267 posts (as of today) still is subject to the Tomatoville "Freshman Pledge Week" of mandatory cultivation duty. Bring your shovel and hoe on April 1.

Ray
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #7
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

ok sounds like you want to argue a little tonight. i assume you refer to apirl 1 for good reason,it's april fools. oh yeah!!!!!! one other thing i work nights,so who ever wants help will have to take that into consideration.

from the looks of your garden you don't need any help. i hope i have half the luck, i mean tomatoes that you do.
while i have you on the line; do you use mulch i eb? what is the content of your soil in your containers? everyone seems to have their own recipe. i just have to figure mine out. it doesn't get quiet as hot in texas as ca. but almost.
neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #8
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Ray Poor little ole me can only use one arm I am maimed. Beat with a microwave. If anyone needs help it should be I, don't you think? being a gentleman and all. Where are all the big strong men when you need them?? Feeling sorry for me yet???
Kat
PS ray; It shows the time you posted was 12:09 am. so considering you stated "fewer than 267 posts (as of today)" I have now posted more than that as of today
Old January 31, 2009   #9
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default reply

Ray?? You are trying to take on 2 psych nurses. We don't fall for a whole lot up to and including I did not take the drugs, I have a neighbor that smokes crack and that is how it got in my system. we were talking about you we she came to visit me in my cell.(light duty unable to got to the unit and confined to conference room. HELP I AM BEING HELD HOSTAGE!!!!
Old January 31, 2009   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Simmran1:

Take the above advise and get your seeds from Sand Hill, TGS or Seed Savers Exchange. For a fellow Hawkeye, I could even provide some seeds. My older son lives in Iowa City and works for the U of I. My younger son played defensive back for the Hawks in the late 90's. I provide plants for my son and a few other people in SE Iowa. It's good to see a few Hawkeyes on the forum. PM me if there is an interest.

Paul
Old January 31, 2009   #11
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

I would add Knapp's to the list!
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2009   #12
newatthiskat
Tomatovillian™

Default Reply

Here is a good place to buy. She is a fellow member of tomatoville. I ordered seeds from her this year.
http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/index.php/B.C_KO_T

Kat
Old January 31, 2009   #13
Nightshade
Tomatovillian™

Default Thanks, kat

Tatania, i didn't know you sold seeds, too! For those like me who need everything spelled out SLOWLY, this is the full link to Tatania's seed sales page, which i have just found:

http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...y:Tomato_Seeds
Nightshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #14
dew
Tomatovillian™

My older son is a Hawkeye, too. He finishes his MM this spring. So in his honor I bought a Matt's Wild Cherry pack from Seeds of Change.
dew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2009   #15
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
Tatania, i didn't know you sold seeds, too! For those like me who need everything spelled out SLOWLY, this is the full link to Tatania's seed sales page, which i have just found:

http://t-garden.homeip.net/mwiki/ind...y:Tomato_Seeds
Tatiana has a GREAT variety of seeds (although you have to be a little more "with it" than I am as I was trying to order seeds from her database , NOT the same thing as her tomato sales list...I am a moron...) They come very fast from Canada and I have had terrific germination.