Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 21, 2014   #1
Itoero
Tomatovillian™

Default seed stays on the top

My seeds are germinating within a week, but the seeds stay on the little tomato.
What can I do to fix this?
Itoero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #2
pdxwindjammer
Tomatovillian™

Got a case of the helmet heads, eh? Try taking a cotton ball dipped in water and moisten the seed coat. I try to get a bead of water to sit on it. Let it soak that way for a few minutes. Then you can very gently wiggle it back and forth to get the coat off.

Sometimes they just don't come off. Survival of the fittest!
pdxwindjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #3
kath
Tomatovillian™

To try to prevent this I always use some type of controversial cover until the seeds germinate and appear to make sure the top of the soil stays damp enough. This problem usually only happens to me with older seed when there's not enough resistance/moisture to remove the seed cover as it's popping through the soil. If the seedling is vigorous enough, it may split the cover and take care of itself but it can be helped by keeping the covers moist with saliva or water. Sometimes I can't help but try to pick them off after a few minutes of soaking but the risk is that sometimes the seedling is decapitated.

kath

(oops- typing while pdxwindjammer posted)

Last edited by kath; February 21, 2014 at 10:46 AM.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2014   #4
Doug9345
Tomatovillian™

The cause for me has always been older seed that I sowed very shallow in light mix. There simply isn't enough resistance to pull the seed coat off. I've found many time that the seed leaves will grow out even though they are bound together. When they get around 1/2" in length you can just pinch the end of the leaves off.

I've put drops water on the helmet head also. The way I do it is to did a pair of forceps in water while holding the tips closed. I can then place the drop where I want it by touching it to the seed coat and opening the forceps.
Doug9345 is offline   Reply With Quote