Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 7, 2010   #1
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato allergy?

I have had itchy hands, inside of elbow, in fact I seem to be itching over most of the exposed parts of my body (but hands mainly). Not much of a rash, more itchy bumps.
As I am only wearing rugby shorts and a tea shirt during the day here down under there is as much exposed as what isn't.
Went to bed last night and woke up with scabs where I have been scratching.
The only thing that I can think of is that I have been working around my tomatoes which are mature plants.
Can toms cause an allergy and have any of you folks ever had it?
Glenn
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2010   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Glenn:

Great to see you posting! I think you can have a contact allergy to tomato plants. Dont know what you have, but I think you can have allergic contact symptoms.
Old March 7, 2010   #3
jerseyjohn61
Tomatovillian™

Glenn, have you been eating an exceptional amount of toms lately?

My late Aunt had allergic rash reactions from eating toms that looked
a lot like "prickly heat" bumps.

JJ61
jerseyjohn61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #4
Glenn 50
Tomatovillian™

Been eating toms but as the season has been poor not large amounts. Pharmacist sold me some cortisone cream but I think I will send dear wife into the tomato patch and supervise from the sideline until it goes.
Glenn 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #5
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

I wear long pants and long sleeves in the garden all summer because I get welts (more than itchy bumps) wherever any plants touch my skin. Not usually on my hands, though -- maybe keeping them covered in clay (garden soil) helps. I start out wearing gloves, then take them off for a minute and hours later, end up with dirt under my fingernails. I haven't noticed that I get itchy welts from tomatoes more than any other plant.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #6
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn 50 View Post
Pharmacist sold me some cortisone cream but I think I will send dear wife into the tomato patch and supervise from the sideline until it goes.
Hmmm...I don't think my wife would fall for that phoney rash excuse ;-)
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #7
annesurfs
Tomatovillian™

I´ve heard of people getting a rash from contact with tomatos, yes!

Also from picking strawberries btw.
annesurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #8
pooklette
Tomatovillian™

Tomato plants make me itch but I don't get a rash or hives. For me, it takes quite a bit of contact (marathon weeding or harvesting sessions) and it mainly effects my arms. If I touch my face before washing up, it'll make my nose itch like crazy too.
pooklette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2010   #9
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

I will sometimes get a rash from touching tomato plants. So yes, that can definitely happen. Eating the actual tomatoes does not cause that same problem. The plant does release an irritant to discourage insects. Sounds like you're allergic to it like me.

It helps if you wash your hands really well after touching the plants, (or any other part of you that touched the plants).

Last edited by Fert1; March 8, 2010 at 10:37 PM. Reason: to add a sentence
Fert1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #10
HiPoha
Tomatovillian™

Glad to see this post. I was wondering if others had itching problems from touching tomato plants too. I almost started to think I was developing a liver problem. I guess my body finally succumbed to whatever the tomato plants give off. I can eat them without any reactions. But my forearms that have been into the bushes itch very bad, even after washing. I took some allergy pills, but it didn't stop the itch. Put some cheap itch ointment, pramoxine hcl, and it gives some relief so I don't scratch myself.
HiPoha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 23, 2012   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

This sounds like contact dermatitis, but not always is that a "for sure", you really need a contact dermatitis scratch test from the dermatologist to know for sure. I cannot eat aspartame in any form. I break out with itchy crusty oozy blisters in between my fingers and down my legs. Almost all personal bath products, lotions and shampoo/conditioners, have formaldehyde in them as a preservative . Aspartame converts to formaldehyde in your body. BUT contact with the foliage makes me itch, too!
Old November 24, 2012   #12
tedln

I always itch on my arms and between my fingers after working with my mature tomato plants. I never break out or anything like that and the itching doesn't last very long. The worst time for me is in the fall when I am removing plants from my garden and carrying them to the compost bin. I sometimes must wrap my arms around the plants to carry them and the itching spreads up to my neck. Any covered areas are not affected. Any exposed areas where perspiration lingers normally itches the most.

Ted