Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 13, 2018   #31
elight
Tomatovillian™

I have used mesh drawstring bags from Amazon and they worked pretty well. The white ones were out of stock so I had to get pink, which adds a nice pop of color to the garden!

This time around I haven't had any issues yet... Not sure if it's a seasonal issue here or if the removal of the fruit trees in my yard (and the fruit they dropped) has made the squirrels and such go elsewhere.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
elight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #32
MayApril
Tomatovillian™

I use pantyhose socks called maggot barriers. You get 288 of them for a few dollars. I forgot how much I paid but they work and still get ripe from the sun. You put them on before they turn any color. You can wash and reuse them. Keeps insects from them also. I tie them using the extra nylon or if the tomato is really large, a supermarket twist tie. Different sites sell them. It is not worth it putting them on cherry tomatoes but I notice birds do not bother my cherries like they do the bigger ones. I always womder why they dont pick on the size that seems bite size for them.
MayApril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #33
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

I pick at first blush, and do not have issues w/ birds ect. It does not affect the taste of the tomato, and I have proof.
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2018   #34
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I don,t have a critter problem. I have lots of water around the garden for the birds.
My issue is Stinky Stink Bugs. I hunt them ( push them into soap water jar). I will have to spray with Malathion, Permatrin (sp?) and Sevin. They also love okra. Darn it.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #35
Poohtoo8
Tomatovillian™

Thanks so much for some great advice!
Poohtoo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2018   #36
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Critters biting (and possibly people stealing) my tomatoes is what drove me to plant mostly not- red tomatoes some years ago! I also pick them at first blush — which also helped them survive the 2-4 mile bike ride when I lived that distance from the community gardens. In addition, I also planted more cherries, figuring that if those got stolen, I wouldn’t notice and wouldn’t care.
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote